Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

July Red/White/Blue Monthly swap pictures

A very colorful but very fishable group of flies this month. As far as I'm concerned I get a set of flies every month from "elite" tiers.

My pics aren't the best but hope I have everyone's in the right place this time...

First up is BassBug'n with a great popper

DSC01164.JPG

And next djTrout and one of the several great streamers that came in

DSC01165.JPG

And Border Collies with a colorful version of Anchor River Coho Clouser

DSC01166.JPG

Kennebec treats us with a #14 Patriot Pheasant Tail

DSC01177.JPG

Breambuster with one his great (sorry, can't help it) Breambusters

DSC01167.JPG

Crackleback comes through with another great streamer

DSC01168.JPG

Jolly Red has a great patriotic wover body Cajun Tickler

DSC01171.JPG

J-Kno has a pond favorite, a Blue Ribbed Red Chronomid

DSC01169.JPG

Michael Ray has a small bead nymph for us...Wonder what he'll do for the small fly swap next

DSC01178.JPG

Joe Russell has a dainty hairwing streamer/soft hackle, beautiful and fishy

DSC01174.JPG

Add147 brings on the color with this lovely fly...don't know about old carryovers but stockers will love this

DSC01175.JPG

And last and least I went for the color with tri beads and soft hackles...something for every fish

DSC01176.JPG

Good looking set, probably one of the most difficult I think. It's a tough color pattern to work with. I tied several RWB inventions before settling on my soft hackle as the most 'catching' fly of my prototypes. Tried a couple of RWB royal coachman variants, would have gone with that probably if I had been able to get some blue ostrich herl to replace the peacock. Maybe by next year I'll find some or dye some myself.

My soft hackle is white hen I dyed myself. The dye is use the stuff Cabela's or any bass outfit sells to dye plastic worms. It does work on feathers but not real well. One thing I like is to take the white feather and dye in fluorescent yellow. Doesn't make it real yellow but just a shade of yellow but boy it glows in the sun.

Just a note that I should have gotten another shot of the Jolly Red Cajun Tickler. Didn't realize how bad it came out but the fly itself is great. Nice weave and well proportioned but poorly pictured. Rest came out fairly decent for my primitive setup to shoot them with.