Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
madkasel

Storing Materials

Fred (sturgeon catcher) suggested that I store my materials in manila folders in plastic bins. I did him one better when they were throwing out a bunch of hanging file folders at work. Luckily enough, some are green and some are brown so I used green for feathers and brown for furs to further help me tell 'em apart.

Bought some bins designed for hanging file folders... one for furs, one for feathers... and this is how things look, all nice and organized.

IPB Image

Much thanks to Fred for the suggestion... and for a lot of the various materials in the files!

Gotta like that, looks good. Dont forget to drop a moth ball or two in each

Thanks.

And I did put mothballs in.

Definition: Pesticide: anything or manner employed to prevent or kill pests.

That being said there are many ways to deal with bugs.

Chemical would be to employ some type of insecticide. Such as moth balls or cedar. Moth balls because of the active ingredient being a chemical and cedar the natural odor inhibits moths.

Cultural would be to not let the bugs in in the first place. This is the method I prefer. No odor means the wife's sensitive nose isn't bothered.

Several times there have been references to my storage method. File folders and zip loc bags. Alphabetize all material and even 6 year old Nate can find Ocelot.

The most important aspect is the zip loc bags. If it comes in... it gets zip loced. The storage king post by Hottuna - Hey Hottuna.... I listed one container for nothing but plastic bags. Exactly so..snack size, sandwich size, quart size, and gallon size. If I mix a bunch of material for dubbing and there is some left - out comes the snack size.

If you never let the bugs in then there is no need for Insecticide. Everything goes in a bag. If something is contaminated you will soon know - and the contamination will only be in the one bag. I started at 12 years of age and am 57 now and have never had bugs in my material. From Texas to Maine to Oregon. Isolation first then insecticide if that material is that important.

Just my opinion...seems to me an "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Somebody said that once upon a time!!!

Later

Fred

PS Got everything put away and only had room for one filing cabinet. RATS!! All of the salt water materials are still in the big tubs. But....I know where it is..... Gotta get that house built. Our current house is 14'6" x 24'6". Cipher that one and figure out where I tie flies and build 14' fishing poles and such.......Better be a storage King. The little house is refered to as the "Ginger Bread House" by the neighborhood.

Sign in to follow this