Fly Tying
Wise Jr

The Perfection Loop

Most of us are familiar with nail knots, whipped loops, and aftermarket loop connectors being the logical choices for connecting a fly line to a leader butt. Has anyone but myself ever used a perfection loop in the end of a fly line as such a connection? I've found them to be the easiest connection to create and to be very durable, as well. Why is this not a popular method? Am I missing something? :dunno:

i am not sure why not more popular i use them as well and love how well and easy they work, best regards Paul

all of the lines I have I use a perfection loop at the end of the fly line to connect my leaders, and when the leaders without loops already tied on them go on sale down at Cabelas I buy the snot out of them and just tie a perfection loop in while changing leaders. Matter of fact that is the only type of loop that I can tie with my lack of knot tying skills and as of yet I have never had one fail.

Steve

Some folks will argue that the loop to loop connection puts an unnecessary "hinge" in the flow of the line while casting. Maybe. But I've noticed that after some use, the loops tighten and seat against each other, making a pretty solid connection.

I've used them for years and never have seen a problem with the cast.

Steve - I'm not a "knot" person either, I beleive in the KISS method of knot tying.

I am wondering if you tie a perfection loop in the end of your fly line?

If my fly line has a moulded loop I will use a perfection knot. I like to make them about 3/8's of an inch. After reading an article in one of the fly mags about perfection loop size, 3/8's of an inch was recommended. I find they work better and are easier to work with then bigger or smaller sized loops

Hey Chase i have a hat that i had made that says K.I.S.S. on it and everyone asks me at work what it means I have to laugh at them a bit.

As far as how big or small i tie mine about... oh... yea big...??? But I would say somewhere close to 3/8" is just about right there.

Steve

WiseJr: I think bulk would be the objectionable factor with the Perfection Loop,tying it directly in the end of the fly line. A whipped loop is a MUCH smoother connection,and not at all difficult to achieve.

Sulphernut

For the last 18 or 20 years, I have been using braided mono slipped over the fly line. These have a loop built on the other end. The braided line is pushed 4" up the fly line, and held in place by a small sleeve. The pull of fish on the leader tighten the braid down on the fly line. I've fished these on Steelhead, and Salmon without any problems. The leader will make the loop to loop connection to the braided connector rather than the fly line. The loop to loop connection should pull up like a square knot to be strong and present a smooth connection. I don't like perfection loops tied in the end of the fly line. Most times, the leader loop will cut through the line coating.

I prefer to nail know a piece of mono to the fly line and about 3 inches down the mono tie a perfection loop for my connections. I would be concerned with the bulk of the knot smoothly running through the guides. Im glad that seems to be working well for some of you, I tell you what, I cant think of a quicker way to loop the end of your fly line in a pinch, i.e. braided loop connecter fails etc...

I typically have a heavy mono butt section nail-knotted to the fly line, then prefection loops. This works for me, I really haven't noticed hinging EXCEPT for heavier saltwater flys on a sinking line....that is all nail knotted.