Fly Tying

I have adjusted manually the White balance with a white card. when taking picture the white came out white but the surrounding color look funny. what is the problem? but in auto white balance all are ok.

What camera are you using?Make sure the white card completely fills the screen and that is all you see in the photo you use to set the white balance.Also the white card needs to be in the same light as the photo's you intend to take after setting it.Make sure there is no reflection on the white card.If you shoot in the RAW setting you can adjust the white balance more when processing.You may try using a 18%grey card to set the white balance.With my canon equipment it seem's to do better than a white card in most situations.

I have adjusted manually the White balance with a white card. when taking picture the white came out white but the surrounding color look funny. what is the problem? but in auto white balance all are ok.

"Hey Doc! When I do this, it really hurts!" Doc: "Then don't do that!"

If everything is okay in auto ... why try to manually do it?

Knowing how to manually adjust white balance is important, especially photos taken under different lighting.

I will always take a few photos of my grey cards when out taking photographs. I then set that as the white balance when in post production, copy the recipe and paste it to other photographs taken at the same time under same light conditions.

If I don't have a grey card I adjust the white balance based on any grey area in the photograph (clothing, pavements, shadows etc).

This means you can take as many photos as you want and not stress to much about the white balance at the time. Concentrate on composition etc instead.

BTW I tale all my photos is RAW format and then covert to JPEG

Cheers

VB1971