Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Three Suggested Flies for Rainbow Trout....

GRHEN Near Deere Zebra Midge

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:54 PM

Question from a Reader of our Blog asked, "What fishing flies have we been using to fish for Trout this Season?" In hopes of answering his question, decided to post an article, Three Suggested Fishing Flies for Rainbow Trout. Hope others find it useful, too. It includes details on how we tie the fishing flies... easy to tie, easy to fish...!

title01.png

#2 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:31 AM

Fished the Blue River (Oklahoma). Was able to limit out using a White Near Deere, Olive Near Deere, and a Tandem Rig Near Deere and Midge. Also, had one take a COAF Guadalupana. Video Clip... Looks like two of the three suggested fishing flies did well!

#3 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

Here is a link to the articles section of a partner website our Web Admin has been working on. It pulls in the article about the Three Suggested Fishing Flies for Rainbow Trout with other related articles to other patterns we have tried in the past. May prove useful to some who would like to tie them as well... StockerTroutFishing.com.

#4 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

Started out fishing a Wooley Bugger at the first place fished Saturday morning, then fished a Near Deere at the second place fished in the afternoon. Near Deere did well; fish were taking it as it sank. Here is a link to a report/video clip of Saturday's fishing.

#5 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Two of us limited out at a local pond today. One used PowerBait; the other used a BH GRHEN... had to break ice from the rod guides at one point. But, still good to see one of three suggested fishing flies worked this round! Today's Video.

#6 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

Near Deere worked for Rainbow Trout on the Blue River (OK) today. Limited out on trout on a cold morning. Good thing it warmed up later! Today's Video.

#7 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Looks like the Near Deere also worked on five Bass this round. No Bruisers but still fun! Today's Video.

#8 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Found this today... Today's Post. It's a DVD for tying six fishing flies that were recommended by the Blue River Fly Fishers for fishing the Blue River in Oklahoma. Not sure where to buy the DVD anymore. Glad I found it again.

IMG_3102.JPG

#9 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Not able to fish today. Did tie some Near Deere fishing flies. Went with Olive Marabou and White Chenille. Today's Picture.

#10 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

Olive/Brown Near Deere with a slight change in the retrieve did it this round... glad to have this one pattern ready in the fly box!  Today's Video.

#11 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

I like that video.  The hookset is the best part, for me, and you showed those well.  I always use a stripping guide, exactly like the one you put on.  When strip setting the hook, I burn my finger if I don't have one on.

Nice video, nice fish ... and I like the picture of the Near Deere at the beginning.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#12 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

Thanks mikechell! Working on a video on tying the Olive/Brown Near Deere at the request of a Reader of our Blog. Will post soon as editing is done.

#13 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:58 AM

Here is a video that has more detail on a variation of the Near Deere Fishing Fly - a productive fishing fly tied on a small jig. This one uses Olive Marabou for the tail and Brown Flash Chenille for the body. Simple pattern that is a consistent producer of Trout as well as other fish in our area!  Today's Video.

#14 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

Limited out using an Olive/Brown Near Deere! Looks like this pattern is the work horse of the three suggested flies this Season. Today's Video

#15 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

Nice weather; went fishing. Looks like the Olive Near Deere works for Bass, too! Today's Video.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GRHEN, Near Deere, Zebra Midge