Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Katydid

Here's my SBS for the Katydid. I guess you could say it's a modified crease fly.

index.jpg

Cut a template from cardboard, to give the eye and hook bend room.

index (1).jpg

Cut the foam sheet into shape.

spacer.pngindex (2).jpg

White rubber legged can be barred with a sharpie. Secure one end, twist the other and run the sharpie down the top. When you untwist it, it will have a spiral stripe.

index (3).jpgindex (4).jpgindex (5).jpg

Start thread about 1/4 from the eye.

index (6).jpg

Tie in one strand of flash (doubled over) as an attractor and ovipositor representation. Bring thread back to original tie in point.

index (7).jpg

Tie in antenna material, hold it back and wrap thread to the hook eye. Half hitch and cut thread.

index (8).jpg

Apply superglue to one entire side of the foam cut out. Fold up from the bottom. Be sure to secure the antennae in correct position.

index (9).jpg

Using a sewing needle, pull one rubber strand from the bug's eye through to about 1/3 body length on the opposite side. Leaving enough for long read leg, apply SMALL dab of glue to leg and pull into body.

index (10).jpg

Trim at eye position, leaving a small protrusion to represent the bug's eye. Repeat on the other side.

index (11).jpg

Sew a strand of leg straight through the body just front of the rear legs. Trim short with two strand extending from each side.

index (12).jpg

Use a sharpie to add coloration to the katydid as you see fit.

index (13).jpg

I was trying to mimic this

index (14).jpg

Thank you for the work in posting. The SBS is clear, and the fly looks like it would be a winner. Cheers, Ed

How do I view the attachments to the original post??? New to this forum and am interested in katydid patterns, thanks in advance

My fault, trs. I cleared out a huge cache of attachments (over 1500). I didn't know, when I was doing it, that it was actually deleting the photos from my posts.

Oh, and welcome to the site.

I'll see if I can re-insert the photos.

Mike, did that happen as url to a storage site or as uploaded files? It affected a ton of your older posts, btw

Okay, I got the pictures back into this one.

tjm, I started getting messages that I couldn't upload any new pictures. I've always attached directly from my computer. So, I went and looked at "My attachments". I had to get rid of more than 1000 pictures before it would let me post any new ones. I went wild deleting attachments.

Only after I was done, did I realize that the pictures in the posts weren't part of the posts. They were displayed from my attachments. So, now, all of my posts that I did are pictureless. If I reinsert pictures in all of them, I'll be over my cache limit again.

Vicious cycle.

Thank you, trs.

I tied those up for a couple of small creeks I fish in the Houston area. When I walk them those little hoppers are everywhere.

The flies floated like the real ones and got hits on every cast.

Actually, I need to tie up some more, soon!

I have bumped this SBS because I got a PM about making the fly I used in my recent video.  I don't tie in antennae anymore, but the rest of the fly is like this.