Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Willie Rip

Cat Fly? Always wondered if catfish would take a fly

Nothing to add except... when I was bass fishing with casting gear I caught lots of the slimy devils but only on chartreuse worms and spinner baits. Can't begin to say why.

Rocco

I take the occasional channel cat while fly fishing for smallouth. They're vastly underrated as a game fish.

I fished wooly buggers near a spillway that was pretty much limited to carp and catfish and was able to purposely catch quite a few. Surprising to many people, catfish are predators and not just bottom feeders. But they are bottom oriented and use taste/smell as much or more than sight. So fly fishing is not the preferred method of targeting whisker fish but you might get a surprise once in a while.

A few weeks ago, my nephew and I came up on some catfishermen using hot dogs for bait. One had a fish on and brought in a nice 20" walleye. My nephew said, "Next time we fish, I want to use hot dogs so I can catch a walleye." I told him a quote from a Mark Martin seminar(walleye guy, not race car guy), "The worst thing you can do is catch a fish doing something dumb." The point was that although it CAN happen, don't let that convince you that it's the best way to target them.