Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Klinkhammer Hooks

I've decided to try my hand at some klinkhamer style flies, found some great patterns to try and practice my parachute tying, and was wondering if there are other styles of hooks besides the klinkhamer hooks, i.e. Daiichi D1167, that would work just as well?

Thanks,

Mike

I've decided to try my hand at some klinkhamer style flies, found some great patterns to try and practice my parachute tying, and was wondering if there are other styles of hooks besides the klinkhamer hooks, i.e. Daiichi D1167, that would work just as well?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks,

Mike

Oops, sorry about the above, got ahead of myself. I'm not familiar with the Daiichi model you've mentioned, but any curved caddis/grub/scud style hook will deliver similar results. The Klink style hooks are slightly longer(2x, 3x perhaps)but the abdomen will be submerged with the post and hackle in/above the surface film.

That's what I was thinking also. I was looking at some of my TMC 200R's and they could probably be used. Just put a slight bend toward the eye to get a flatter platform for wing post and hackle .... maybe :)

Mike

any brand and model number for a fine wire curved scud hook will work for klinks

https://www.google.com/search?q=klinkhammer&hl=en&safe=active&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=5T4pT8XnL6fq0gHbxZDsAg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=847

i'm not sure the 200's have enough curvature to stick the butt end below the water surface

I may just pick up some klinkhamer hooks and try them. I got some other on hand that will probably work too.

thx's

Mike

Olly Edwards describes the ideas behind the original klinkhamer on one of his DVDs, well worth watching!

They're meant to be quite large, hence klinkhamer hooks are big.

They're meant to sit in/below the surface film, so just the hackle and post are above surface.

The parachute hackle is meant to be tied with the concave surface upwards to allow the fly to lie very low.

Have fun with them, they're great patterns!

Simon

Thanks for the info Simon. I spent a couple of hours last night reading some info on the net about the klinks, how they work, and some very nice variations of the original. Just something about this pattern that caught my eye. I don't fish trout waters or tie many dry flies, none in my area, but may try them on out on my local waters to see if any of panfish hit'em.

Mike

You can use any 2x hook and give it a little bend about 1/3- 1/4 of the way down from the eye. They are meant to be rather large but I have tied some smaller ones too.

Have a read at this;

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hklinken/klinkhamer_special.htm

And buy some of these;

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/partridge-klinkhammer-extreme-hooks

I think they are great hooks and make a nice looking fly, but as mentioned before they are much bigger than ordinary hooks (equivalent to about 2 sizes bigger i.e. size 18 = about size 14 in a normal hook). I find Kamasan B100 hooks work well too and they are a bit stronger and more rigid.

Have a read at this;

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hklinken/klinkhamer_special.htm

And buy some of these;

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/partridge-klinkhammer-extreme-hooks

I think they are great hooks and make a nice looking fly, but as mentioned before they are much bigger than ordinary hooks (equivalent to about 2 sizes bigger i.e. size 18 = about size 14 in a normal hook). I find Kamasan B100 hooks work well too and they are a bit stronger and more rigid.

Yes I read the article the other night, great read. I found a couple of local US online sites that also sell the Klink style now too.

thx's

Mike