Fly Tying
SBPatt

Mathews' Mayfly Emerger (variation) SBS

IMG_0489_zpse3aybhmi.jpg

Minor update to a Craig Mathews pattern. Tied here as a Flav (the indicator helps me spot this fly in low/flat light conditions when these bugs come out); change color/size to suit your needs.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #14

thread - Danville 6/0 olive

shuck - Congo Hair brown

abdomen - goose biot olive

thorax - dubbing olive

wing - Congo Hair black

indicator - biot hot pink

hackle - partridge olive

mash barb, start thread, tie in CH; wrap halfway down the bend

IMG_0408_zpsxnnocjht.jpg

IMG_0409_zpsmf8urhsq.jpg

tie in (moistened) biot notch-side down (for ribbed effect); wrap forward just past the point, tie off/trim

IMG_0410_zpskpc0bhci.jpg

IMG_0412_zpss4gygqrv.jpg

dub thread/dub thorax

IMG_0414_zpsrrmhgqhh.jpg

IMG_0419_zpsibtt5pzn.jpg

tie in a hank of CH in front of thorax, pull fibers back on either side and tie down

IMG_0421_zpse4hepm5g.jpg

IMG_0423_zpstoisxcoa.jpg

tie in biot, fold back and tie down

IMG_0424_zpsyr7bd00j.jpg

IMG_0427_zps6cihdudm.jpg

trim wing/indicator (even with back of thorax)

IMG_0429_zpsdwnc4ndv.jpg

prep partridge

IMG_0468_zpsliqpep9z.jpg

lay the feather along the hook (adjusted the angle of the fly to help keep the thread from slipping down towards the eye), fibers on either side of the thorax, a bit long; maintaining thread tension (if you don't, the fibers will torque and roll) pull the feather butt forward 'till you get the proper length

IMG_0473_zps8llrhkcq.jpg

trim butt, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

IMG_0489_zpse3aybhmi.jpg

IMG_0491_zpse5ws9vy7.jpg

IMG_0495_zps4hnztrdq.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Thank you, Scott. Great tutorial and fantastic pictures, as usual.

But my main gratitude is with interesting me in biots, again. So I tried one, and it turned out better than I expected. Picture is on the "January Flies" thread.

Cool idea with the biot indicator and nice fly. In the fading light I seem to be able to see a dark indicator better, such as dark grey or black antron shuck material or congo hair, etc. Tie one or two and see what you think.

Cool idea with the biot indicator and nice fly. In the fading light I seem to be able to see a dark indicator better, such as dark grey or black antron shuck material or congo hair, etc. Tie one or two and see what you think.

Thanks. I've been using black winged flies for a while, especially for this hatch and the Epeorus on the Madison, which usually comes off in the evening when the lighting is tough. That's why I included the black Congo Hair on this one; tried dark grey because I thought it looked more natural, but the black was easier to spot and the fish didn't seem to care.

Regards,

Scott

I see the black congo hair for the wing. I was thinking a more concentrated bunch, like a post, might work, too.

I wish I would have thought more about black in 2009 when I was fishing the Lamar River. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we were fishing a BWO hatch as the light faded and I had a difficult time. Is there a BWO hatch in August?

Yeah. Black wing posts definitely help out when the water get's that silvery sheen and the light goes off.

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

I tried a little contrast, too

IMG_0868_zpsjxbaadmx.jpg

IMG_0870_zpsocspb9sx.jpg

ed32015e-27d8-4cba-a5c7-f648ce39a72d_zps

Not sure if there's a BWO hatch on the Lamar in August. I've seen fairly small (#16), yellowish/olive bugs come off that time of day in the summer, just below the Soda Butte confluence that I believe someone identified as heptagenias (Pale Evening Dun). Didn't last long but the fish were definitely interested.

Regards,

Scott

Yeah. Black wing posts definitely help out when the water get's that silvery sheen and the light goes off.

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

I tried a little contrast, too

IMG_0868_zpsjxbaadmx.jpg

IMG_0870_zpsocspb9sx.jpg

ed32015e-27d8-4cba-a5c7-f648ce39a72d_zps

Not sure if there's a BWO hatch on the Lamar in August. I've seen fairly small (#16), yellowish/olive bugs come off that time of day in the summer, just below the Soda Butte confluence that I believe someone identified as heptagenias (Pale Evening Dun). Didn't last long but the fish were definitely interested.

Regards,

Scott

Those are great ties, Scott.

Sweet looking. And I have no idea what I'm looking at. But I like it.

Awesome tutorial too. What is CH? Congo hair?

Its a more inexpensive version of EP fiber. The material look a lot like macrame yarn. You can get Congo Hair from Fly Tyer's Dungeon.