Fly Tying
jmmccutc

Sad News, Member Passed

Everyone, I wanted to take a moment and share some sad news my cousin and FTF member Joe Beck passed last night. Some of you may know him as Atroutbum2, he became a member in 2004 and I know he was active in swaps for many years. Joe was 59, recently retired, and although the fishing had slowed in the last two years for him, he still loved it.

I myself havent been active on the forum in a long time, Ive got three kids, and life just doesnt allow my the time to keep up with tying and forums the way i used to. I know 6 years ago when i moved from Pittsburgh to New Orleans Joe would often say, I havent been fishing, since my fishing partner isnt here. Today hit hard, Joe was the big brother i didnt have, and when i was a teenager and my friends were getting involved with bad habits, Joe got me hook on another habit. He got me my first fly rod, gave me an old Sage 890 RPL when i graduated college, and was always there as a friend, guide, mentor and teacher. He taught me to tie, to fish, hunt, and enjoy the outdoors and life.

I just ask you take a moment to remember him today, he loved the sport of fly fishing and sharing it with others.

Bless you and your family during this hard time. I didn't have the pleasure of getting to know Joe on here but he sure sounds like he was a great man. Go wet a line for him.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I remember Joe he'd been around here for quite a few years. 59 is way too young to leave this world. He will be missed by his FTF family, and prayers for you and his real family.

Steve

Yes, 59 is much too young, especially with early retirement just behind him. My thoughts are with the family members and the hope he has passed his love of fishing down to someone to carry on and keep his memory alive.

Nick

My condolences for your loss. A good friend is not as common as we'd like. Losing one is a bitter reminder of that.

I'm sorry to hear that.I remember Joe from back in the day.I have some of his flies in my collection.

My condolences to you and his family and friends. I remember Joe from when I first joined. He was quite active on the forum then. I have a number of swap flies from him as well. Much too early to move on. Again sorry for your loss.

His bodily time clock wound down to 0. My prayer is for all involved but remain, that the sense of loss is not so much diminished but the time period of grieving shortened .

Thank you for sharing your memories and respect for this gentleman! We all have had people that have a positive impact on who we are.

Sorry for your loss and it appears others here have been impacted by his short presence.