Fly Tying
Dart

Dumbbell/Mono Eye Chart

I found this thread which has some info in it. There are also a lot of bead and conehead charts, but I haven't really seen anything with dumbbell eyes. Tonight is "organize all the drawers" night and I'm trying to label everything for easy finding down the road. I think if I had everything labeled and organized in a way I could actually see what I have, I'd be more likely to use it. :wallbash:

By eye-balling the sizes, here's what hook sizes I'd use for dumbbells

Medium 3/16" for sz 4-6

Small 5/32": sz 8-10

Mini 1/8": sz 12-14

3/32" bead chain: sz 14

mono eyes (small) sz 12-14

mono eyes (med) sz 8-10

Does that sound about right to you guys and gals?

I did a couple google searches and I couldn't find anything :(

I recommend calling Cabelas though, they could probably give you a good chart!

I found this thread which has some info in it. There are also a lot of bead and conehead charts, but I haven't really seen anything with dumbbell eyes. Tonight is "organize all the drawers" night and I'm trying to label everything for easy finding down the road. I think if I had everything labeled and organized in a way I could actually see what I have, I'd be more likely to use it. :wallbash:

Medium 3/16" for sz 4-6

mono eyes (med) sz 8-10

Is this for lead dumbells?

Yowzers. I typically use the Mediums for 1/0 through 2, Smalls for 4 and 6, and X-small for 8's. Bead chain (depending on pattern, like a Crazy Charlie) I'll use up to a 4.

I'm now working with smaller eyes. I got an intermediate line, and can't believe how much faster a size 2 with a medium lead eye sinks. I'm now using smalls on a size 2.

For brass eyes (like the Real-eyes plus) I'll use one size larger.

Medium 3/16" for sz 4-6

mono eyes (med) sz 8-10

Is this for lead dumbells?

Yowzers. I typically use the Mediums for 1/0 through 2, Smalls for 4 and 6, and X-small for 8's. Bead chain (depending on pattern, like a Crazy Charlie) I'll use up to a 4.

I'm now working with smaller eyes. I got an intermediate line, and can't believe how much faster a size 2 with a medium lead eye sinks. I'm now using smalls on a size 2.

For brass eyes (like the Real-eyes plus) I'll use one size larger.

Yeah, I don't know... I was judging by the size of the bead chart. I guess these are brass and nickel eyes... no lead. I guess If you're measuring the diameter of the eyes compared to beads, you should use twice the hook. For example, if the diameter for eyes made of brass is 1/8" and you'd normally use a 1/8" bead on a 12-14, perhaps you should use the 1/8" eyes on a sz 6 since there's two of them? I never really got the dumbbell:hook pairings as I have NEVER seen a chart for it.

Since you're using a 5wt rod, I suggest the largest you can comfortably cast with a 5wt. Me, I'd go small and since it's a Clouser, where the eyes sink the fly and orient it, bead.chains are out.

LOL Since this thread is 8/9 years old, I'm not sure the OP is still watching for a response, Gene !!!

Thanks for posting. The size depends on how fast you need for it to sink (for me). If I want it to sink slower and want a big eye, I switch to aluminum, or for no weight, clear cure glue eyes. I also use a lot of bead chain for slow sinking flies. We have a "shad hatch" here, and they stay on top at certain times of the year.

One other minor point to remember... The lead eye sizes that most catalogs and shops provide - aren't exactly the full spectrum of lead eye sizes available... If your shop carries Wapsi products (most do...) then beg, ask, etc. for a look at their Wapsi catalog making sure they know that they'll get the chance to add whatever you need to their next order with them (Wapsi is wholesale only...). If you can get their catalog, look for presentation lead eyes as a starting point - they're what I use... If and when you get a look at that catalog you'll also see that there are a range of different eye products in every kind of material (even some that already have the eyes painted on....).

Hope this helps....

I've never seen such a chart - but I'm sure someone has posted one... For me - the eye size only relates to exactly what I'm trying to achieve with a given pattern. A pretty good example are the Perfect Popper line of popping bug heads - the hooks I use them with are a lot bigger than what's suggested by their hook size recommendations... and for our purposes work very well.

When I'm working up a new pattern using metal eyes of some sort (beadchain, brass, or lead eyes) I'll frequently do up early versions with different eye sizes then actually use them on the water to see which size provides the sink rate, proper balance, and ease of use when casting - then go with whatever actually works... More than one new item didn't perform anywhere near what I thought it would - or any fish that came near - ran the other way... I may actually do three or four new bugs for everyone that works the way I wanted it to...

Yeah, what he said. Wise words. If I make up a custom fly, I do it to represent some critter/bug/fish at some time in it's life cycle. No chart can tell you everything. Use whatever is right for the situation.