Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

Kreh/Harro/Byford knot ?

from the internet, the knot is attributed to dan byford as a non-slip loop knot

https://www.google.com/search?q=non-slip+loop+knot+byford&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNtrnk0v7TAhUJPiYKHZLnBKsQ_AUIBygC&biw=1600&bih=770#tbm=isch&q=non-slip+loop+knot+dan+byford

"The knot is credited to Dan Byford but it is sometimes referred to as the Kreh/Byford loop knot or the Harro/Byford loop knot because it's similar to lefty's knot and Harro helped to popularize it. It's not good for braided wire like TyGer wire, but for mono it's very good, just as strong as the Kreh non-slip loop and it's easier to tie. It actually makes a more round loop."

keep googling. theres more references for that knot

flytire, your provided link only shows drawings for the standard non-slip loop knot.

I've spent over an hour searching to find a drawing of the Kreh/Harro/Byford knot.

This knot's word description:

"It is different. The Harro loop knot by-passes the overhand going straight to the twists

around the standing line before passing through the overhand. One step is eliminated."

Another description:

1. overhand knot in leader
2. pass tag through hook eye
3. commence wrapping above the overhand knot (don't pass through it)
4. return tag through overhand knot in the same direction as the line exits towards wraps.
5. tighten by pulling on tag and mainline using your fingers to massage the knot toward fly.

I have tied what I think is correct based on these word descriptions,

but a clear drawing would also be helpful to verify I'm tying it correctly.

So far, my version of this knot shows it beating the standard non-slip loop knot

every time. I used 15 # test Maxima Chameleon and did the usual tug-of-war knot

testing trick.

Well, I didn't need any drawing or video, HJ, your description was good enough. I had the same results as you in a few tests with 2X tippet I had laying around. What an awesome improvement!

I've been using a non-slip loop for about 15 years for steelhead, saltwater, and loop to loop connections in my trout leaders. I've experimented with a couple variations and found it's the strongest loop knot (or any type knot for that matter) I can easily and reliably tie. This variation easily was stronger than anything else I tried against it.

My only issues were that every time I tied it there is a little twist in the loop near the knot, not a deal breaker, and maybe something I can fix with a bit a practice. The loop is also narrow, good for loop to loop connections in my leader, but I like a round loop for swinging steelhead flies, so it probably won't replace my round looped variation of the non-slip loop for that.

So I was thinking about this knot and thought "what if it has a different name?" I did a little searching on Google images and found what I think is the knot you described, and is exactly the knot I tied from your description. It's called the open clinch knot.

post-61269-0-69819400-1495379061_thumb.gif

There is a difference in video and descriptions. In descriptions you wrap above granny knot and then pass thru. In video you run through and then through the granny loop, then spiral above and come back through again. Which knot are you guys tying that is so much stronger. I have for years used the simple uni-knot or Duncan knot to make my loops. Once the loop is closed up hard on the running line I've never had it slip while playing a fish, nor break in the knot itself.

Vic ... this knot doesn't "close up hard". It's a way to leave a loop on the end of your line. Since I don't tie flies on with a loop, I've never tried this knot. For loop to loop connections on my fly line/leader and leader/tippet, I'll probably stick with the perfection loop.

spiralspey - that's it, thanks for finding that!

Vic/quote:

Which knot are you guys tying that is so much stronger.[?]

Vic, I'm tying the Open Clinch Knot, not the Non Slip Loop Knot.

If you compare the two knots in this drawing below, you'll see the differences:

2w4gv0i.jpg

I'm using the Open Clinch Knot to tie in Jim Matson's Pulse Disc, and I discovered this knot's

written description when I was researching the Non Slip Loop Knot..

Mike, the Duncan Loop Knot does not close up tight to the eye unless you choose to do that. What I meant was you draw the loop knot down hard on the running line leaving the distance in the loop you want. Very easy to control amount or size of loop with that knot. On things like snap swivels or where I want a knot tight to eye I just draw the Duncan (Uni-knot) down tight to eye before tightening. This is not the world's strongest knot but I've found over the years it's strong enough for me and I never end up having to cut it off and start again like I do with some other knots I've used in the past. It even works well to splice lines together and though I still prefer blood knot when joining leader pieces it's quicker and easier on the stream to do this and much stronger than the surgeon's knot.

I had been unknowingly tying an open clinch as I couldn't remember the correct tying of the Lefty knot. Since then I rechecked and have been using the Lefty version. Also use with circle bait hooks. Can't say I've noticed any benefit either way with knot strength.