Fly Tying
tctrout

Generic Jig Nymph

In the following video, I tie a generic jig nymph, and give suggestions for a variation of it. In the last segment, I share some of the ways that I fish them, most notably in fast-moving water. I have really turned to jig nymphs over the last few years, and have done well with them, especially on PA streams close to where I live

I am positive many of you fish them, too, thus I'd love to hear what kind of patterns you use on jig hooks.

Thanks!

TC

Instead of "discussing" how to fish it ... I'd like to see some video of you, or someone catching fish with it.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike, and I've been contemplating that over the last year. It's tough for me to shoot video like you're suggesting, especially being that this is a passion, not my "day job." It involves a second individual, an upgrade of my camera, and fishing time turned into filming. I normally fish with others, taking care of the first problem, but the others are more difficult to achieve.

Because I've received many emails with similar thoughts to yours, I filmed some native brook trout fishing a few weeks ago (discussing possible fish locations, and then showing the actual fishing and results), though my reservations in editing are that more of the fishing videos will be expected from viewers and subscribers.

In short, I agree with you. Stream footage can really do wonders, and with this particular fly, some of the methods I discussed (such as the tuck cast) are more easily examined when seeing them in action. One of my newest series of videos, "From Vise to Water," is my next step in taking the fly tying to the water, and my goal is to eventually create a series of videos featuring stream footage with various topics examined.

As you can probably tell, I've put some thought into this, and will continue to do so until I believe everything is right. In the meantime, this fall I will be hosting some live shows (which is new for my channel), and then this winter, I plan on hosting a "Brewery Takeover" in western Pennsylvania, with all flies tied there to be donated to a Project Healing Waters chapter.

I honestly appreciate the feedback, and if you have more suggestions, please don't hesitate to send me an email.

Tim

Instead of "discussing" how to fish it ... I'd like to see some video of you, or someone catching fish with it.

No other suggestions. No offense intended, but many times, I fast forward through the parts where you're just sitting there talking.

I watch the parts where you're tying, or showing tools and materials.

Those parts of your videos are usually excellent.

Quite possibly, but I just can't sit through a lecture. Being an instructor myself, I know the value of visual cues during a presentation. If all my students have to look at is my face, I can see them losing interest. Give them something to visually "key in on" and relate to the subject, and I can keep them curious and interested all day long.