Fly Tying
robow7

Rainys foam head diver vs. std Dalhlberg Diver

Has anyone used these Rainys foam diver heads vs. the more standard spun deer hair Dahlberg diver? Just wondered if there was a difference in the action of one vs the other?

rainy_fishead_diver_cb_white.jpg

045.jpg

I have some of the Rainy's that I got in a bunch of stuff I won on ebay. I haven't used them yet, but they should dive well, maybe better than a deerhair fly. As far as the action, the Rainy's might be more consistent in the action you get, because the heads are going to be more consistent compared to deerhair, but they may not depending on how the materials in the tail are tied on. It's a bit harder to get deerhair clipped just right, fly after fly, so I can see some advantages to using the foam heads, plus deerhair will waterlog after awhile, and certainly is not as durable as the foam. You're likely going to get a little difference in the actual action from one fly to next with both types, because they're not all going to be exactly the same. Heck you'll get slight differences with most any fly or lure, but probably not enough to hurt anything most of the time. I've got crankbaits that I've bought & had to tune to get them to run straight, and it's amazing how sometimes you have to bend the eyelet ever so slightly & it makes a ton of difference. I'm sure it's the same with some flies.

However, as long as they dive & wiggle, and don't roll over when retrieved, I don't think it will make much difference to the bass, they'll eat both of them! :)

I've used both quite a bit, but I like the Rainy's foam ones more overall probably. They have a different sorta diving action and chug up the water a bit differently, but the idea's the same. Foam's quicker to tie but both can be used to exercise your creative outlet...

El Diablo, the fighting chicken...

4475685598_34a4a1d7e1.jpg

Does anyone have a good source for these diver heads at a reasonable price? The only retail outlet I've found charges $7.95 for a package of 3.

Has anyone used these Rainys foam diver heads vs. the more standard spun deer hair Dahlberg diver? Just wondered if there was a difference in the action of one vs the other?

rainy_fishead_diver_cb_white.jpg

045.jpg