Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Insect photos for imitations

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 23Trout

23Trout

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

I've got heaps more if anyone's interested including beetles, ants, spiders and frogs.
Aussie Fly Fisher

#62 joops

joops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I don't know if you get these in the states,
but thought it might make an interesting pattern.
I had one land on my knee last year & was amazed by
the colours.

Ruby tailed wasp. about 12mm long.

#63 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

This was on the side window of my van, here in central Florida, last weekend, Sept. 23rd. I don't know what it is, some sort of may fly ... I think I saw this referred to as a " Hexagenia limbata".

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#64 LeslieZanetti

LeslieZanetti

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

There are another good sites:

http://www.troutnut.com/

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/

#65 GdubyaSmith

GdubyaSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

Here are some that a friend of mine took that are nice...

http://s22.photobuck...n?sort=3&page=1

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." ~ Lefty Kreh

#66 GdubyaSmith

GdubyaSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Here is another one by my friend:

flysquatch.jpg

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." ~ Lefty Kreh

#67 GdubyaSmith

GdubyaSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

buckeebug.jpg

#68 GdubyaSmith

GdubyaSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

bug.jpg

Da Hoppa :D 

bug2.jpg

#69 GdubyaSmith

GdubyaSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

spidey.jpg