Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How as a fly tier do you view realistics?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you veiw realistics (561 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you see them

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Pelhament @ Jun 22 2009, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted lure making or insect replication. I voted this way using the definition of the realistics I see that are made of substances that provide no movement such as epoxy, mono (no fur or feathers). For something like an ant pattern, movement isn't really an issue, but chucking a fixed position epoxy octopus or crawdad in the water isn't going to do much for the fish. You can make a fly look realistic and still maintains its "fishability" if that is even a word, but a lot of the realistics I see look more like models on hooks than fly patterns.

I believe I received one of your epoxy/mono shrimp in a fly swap a year or two back. When I looked at I remember thinking this thing is cool as hell, however I will never fish it because everything on it is in a fixed position. Where as the minnow pattern you tied with the epoxy body and marabou tail gets fished all the time and it catches fish. As you can tell I am a big fan of movement and motion while fishing.

With that said, it doesn't mean I don't admire the patterns that I see, just that I don't see their practicality in the fishing world other than as art.

Fair enough . I agree with you . Even with my epoxy shrimp .( which I do not make anymore).When I started I just wanted to make cool things like everyone else. Didn't worry about movement or durability or hook size and placement. Now I try to make the best flies I can and make them as close to the real insect in size , shape and color. Durabilty comes next . They have to be fished without falling apart.Movement will be harder , but it will come with experimentation , new or different materials and techniques. But I now tie with every intention of the fly being fished. My fly's will be flies first. If someone wants to frame it instead of fish it .That's their call. I'm not going to try to create models or glue parts together , they can't be fished.
This is the direction I'm heading . If others chose this path , the next poll might have different results.
Fred
"My head is a prison, my times on the water are conjugal visits" Fred Hannie

visit my website http://www.realisticflytying.net

#32 Alpinefly

Alpinefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:11 AM

It is another style of tying. There are many styles or forms. As a fly designer and production tyer, I think it is important to learn all styles, and strive to excell in all styles. As a music teacher, musician, conductor, and composer, I have the same attitude with music. It is important to learn all styles and strive to excell in all styles. In the area of realistic fly tying, I design and tie fishable realistics !!!! The final proof is on the water. It all depends what your end goal is in your tying. There are many great patterns out there. Some catch fly fishermen/ or a person's eye (aesthetics so to speak); and some catch fish. I strive in all my designs and styles of tying to do both.
The problem with asking such a question (even in music) is that it does become a debate (even though it should not be debatable). It comes down to personal taste. As in music, art, drama, etc., when it comes to fly tying, all forms are valid and have there place. You will find the greats have not only excelled in there own style, but have studied and strived to excell in all styles. Now, where does that leave the closed minded ???? You tell me !!!!! wink.gif

#33 Runarsson

Runarsson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

Art from me...

'Highest form of tying' - What's a "highest form of tying"?
'A curiosity but not truely fly tying' - What's a "not truely fly-tying"
'Lure making or insect replication' - Lure making, yes... if they are on the 'realistic level' that puts them in the box (and not in a frame)
'Just another form of tying like classic' - More of an "innovative" form... (alternative materials, alternative techniques, "if it works, then it's right")
'Not worth the time or effort' - If you enjoy it, why wouldn't it be worth the time or the effort?

#34 Alpinefly

Alpinefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

"LET THERE BE FLIES" he said, "And THERE WERE FOAM HOPPERS" ????? Yep !!!! God does have humor, even when it comes to fly designs !!!!!!!! hysterical.gif Even with my St. Peter's Mayfly !!!! It has hooked some big fish (the Good Lord does have the last laugh when I sometimes don't have faith in my designs) !!!!! tongue.gif

Attached Files

#35 BigDaddyHub

BigDaddyHub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

being a tier of intermediate and mediocre talent, I voted it an art form.....truly artisans at work in the Realistic Forum
Hug your daughters, or someone else will.

#36 Andrews15r

Andrews15r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

It seems like an interesting art form, and I enjoy looking at them, but I barely have enough time to tie the flies I need to fish with, let alone a month to tie one that I would never fish, maybe when I retire I may take it up. LOL

- Andrew
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~by Tony Blake~

#37 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Andrews15r @ Sep 8 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems like an interesting art form, and I enjoy looking at them, but I barely have enough time to tie the flies I need to fish with, let alone a month to tie one that I would never fish, maybe when I retire I may take it up. LOL

- Andrew

Andrew take a look at some of the step by step realistics . The ant only takes a few minutes to tie and is great for gills and trout. And if you look how it is tied together you can see it is very durable. Not all realistics are tied for glass domes. There is a growing need for more true to life patterns as catch and released fish are getting wise to patterns that have fooled them before.IMHO
Fred

#38 Alpinefly

Alpinefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I agree !!!!! I tie fishable realistics !!! Some of these patterns do not take a lot of time, and are deadly on the streams and lakes !!!!!! ertainly, one of these day I hope to have the time to tie more exhibit style realistics at the caliber that my friend Graham Owen does !!!!!

#39 kyflytyer

kyflytyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

I voted for art form. I've made a few forays into realistic tying but the results were less than I wished for. I am not artistic in any sense of the word and admire and respect those who are. I'm going to continue tying realistics and I'm sure I will improve as time goes by, but I will never reach the plateau that some of the tyers on this forum have reached.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

#40 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (kyflytyer @ Sep 22 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted for art form. I've made a few forays into realistic tying but the results were less than I wished for. I am not artistic in any sense of the word and admire and respect those who are. I'm going to continue tying realistics and I'm sure I will improve as time goes by, but I will never reach the plateau that some of the tyers on this forum have reached.

Most people voted for art form. From the flies that have been posted here on this forum it would be
the most likely choice. It would be difficult to call something that is made of resin or glued and painted sometimes without a hook or a hook eye."another form of tying".
But tying flies with realistic qualities has merit where it applies to fishing . I hope you continue to tie realistics and if I can help in any way , let me know.
Fred

#41 Alpinefly

Alpinefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Fred H. @ Sep 23 2009, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most people voted for art form. From the flies that have been posted here on this forum it would be
the most likely choice. It would be difficult to call something that is made of resin or glued and painted sometimes without a hook or a hook eye."another form of tying".
But tying flies with realistic qualities has merit where it applies to fishing . I hope you continue to tie realistics and if I can help in any way , let me know.
Fred

Get real !!!!!!! How about you create your own web site !!!! The Fly Tying Gospel according to Fred H. !!!!!! It gets to be very old that unless people totally subscribe to your fly tying methods, fly fishing methods, etc. they are fly tying infidels in your eyes, and you proceed to put everybody down !!!! Your ego trip has gotten way old !!!!! Wouldn't you be happier with your own web site or is destroying other web sites with your sick ego trip what you get off on !!!!!! There are many styles in the realm of fly tying. This is a forum to share ideas and innovations; not to put down people who do not subscribe to your gospel (?) of fly tying or for those on an ego trip !!!!!! Get a life Fred !!!!!!!! mad.gif

#42 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Alpinefly @ Sep 30 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fred

Get real !!!!!!! How about you create your own web site !!!! The Fly Tying Gospel according to Fred H. !!!!!! It gets to be very old that unless people totally subscribe to your fly tying methods, fly fishing methods, etc. they are fly tying infidels in your eyes, and you proceed to put everybody down !!!! Your ego trip has gotten way old !!!!! Wouldn't you be happier with your own web site or is destroying other web sites with your sick ego trip what you get off on !!!!!! There are many styles in the realm of fly tying. This is a forum to share ideas and innovations; not to put down people who do not subscribe to your gospel (?) of fly tying or for those on an ego trip !!!!!! Get a life Fred !!!!!!!! mad.gif

I don't know what part of my statement you quoted that you have a problem with. And you don't need to answer ,I don't care. I can't find any part of that statement that puts people down. Perhaps you chose this post just to attack me. It does'nt matter. I knew fighting to change how realistics are viewed was not going to be easy or popular. And I knew starting out that even those who agreed with me were not going to speak out because of the conflict and possible hard feelings that would ensue.This is a fly tying forum . Should'nt it be about tying flies? Again this was a rhetorical statemnet. If you want to continue this , I suggest you pm or email me . If you want I'll give you my cell number.It's obvious that you have a problem with me since I have never made a negative comment about you or your flies .Lets see if we can keep it off open forum.
Fred

#43 Seadog

Seadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (Alpinefly @ Sep 30 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fred

Wow! That is a little harsh shocking.gif I do not know much about tying realistics; however, it seems to me that Fed bends over backwards to help members. I just do not quite understand the personal attacks over subjective opinions dunno.gif In my opinion, it ultimately ends up hurting FTF.

Just my 2 cents worth
Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

Semper Fi

#44 harleyhunter

harleyhunter

It only rains on my fishing days.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Here is one of the questions I asked Oliver Edwards in his Hatches Magazine interview awhile back. I feel the way he does but also I feel fly tying is just that tying material to a hook. If there are glued on parts that becomes a model to me in my opinion.

-Sam

What is your opinion on the "realistic" side of fly tying?

They look great in frames, and good to watch a real exponent constructing them. However it all depends on what you call realistic – there are various grades. I tie a stonefly nymph which looks superficially like a real stone nymph! Bill Logan ties a stone nymph, which looks “exactly” like a stone nymph, complete with mouthparts. I’ll do mine at a show and probably will take 45 minutes. Bill Logan’s will take probably 200 hours. Mine are super impressionistic, Bill’s are exact replicas. Its all a question of degrees, but no one I know of can beat Bill Logan’s when it comes to exact copy, and there price reflects it. Exact copies do not in my opinion, play any part in practical “streamside” fishing.
Genesis 1:20-23 KJV

#45 Kevan J. Evans

Kevan J. Evans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

I went with art form -- It is one of the art forms of tying alpine I'm with you 100%
My art in tying is to be able to tie enough flies that catch fish
some stuff I see here is so realistic that I wonder if they tie to get other insect interested or fish
after my induction [ If it's over] I saw a very closed minded attitude that seamed to say old vs. new instead of old embrasing new hell my vice does more than other and it's favor is in question--shame on all that shoot for a future????
Hands down I tie to catch fish -- thats what flies are for $0.02