Fly Tying
Bimini15

I lost my hemostats... gosh darn it!

My favorite pair of hemostats is gone. It must have fallen off my pocket while fishing today.

Anyone knows of a pair with stubby jaws and a great line cutter at the hinge? I got this one looong ago and they do not have them anymore. The closest one I have seen is much shorter than mine.

Dr. Slick sells a 5.5" and a 4" version - both with serrated scissors. These should be available at most good fly shops.

These are what I have.

I liked them so much i bought 2 extras for when I loose mine. Working great so far. I haven't lost a pair since I put them on a retractable lanyard.

http://www.drslick.com/catalog/view_item/clamps/scissor-clamp

Word of advice though, the screwdriver tip is very sharp in my opinion. I took my hook sharpener and dulled it down.

I have a Cortland pair with built in scissors that I like, but also have a bunch of other pairs. I had bought a bunch of cheap ones years ago to hold some ice blades & hooks for soldering, so if I should loose a pair, I have replacements.

Decisions, that screw driver feature is nice, but that's why I also carry a swiss army knife. I would probably stick the screw driver blade in my hand!

That's similar to the Cortland's I have except mine are gold. I think I paid about $6 for them, so that's probably an OK deal.

GO for it bimini. It's not like you'll be trimming materials while tying flies. The scissor part will probably work just fine on the water.

Of course, at that price, they will say "China" or "India" or some such Country on them, so if that bothers you ....

Well... I got the small packet on the mail today.

Can't complain for the price, but it does not seem as sturdy as the one I lost.

It is a little shorter, which is fine.

Time will tell about durability...

Dr. Slick is good. I have an old pair of these in 6.5" in all black straight jaws. I've had them for probably 10 years or more and they still work great. If I ever lose these I'll turn right around and buy another pair with the curved jaws.

http://www.drslick.com/catalog/view_item/clamps/scissor-clamp

Might I suggest you attach your hemostats to a wire cord Zinger attached to your vest, belt, lanyard, or whatever.

If you drop it, it will just retract safe and sound.

Might I suggest you attach your hemostats to a wire cord Zinger attached to your vest, belt, lanyard, or whatever.

Then, how am I going to ever need a new pair again? :D

Then, how am I going to ever need a new pair again? biggrin.png

That might have really come in handy for a lost or misplaced almost 30 year old chap stick size tube of Orvis ferrule wax this past week, but had to replace that which is no longer available for the next 30 years supply........

Little late but I was just looking at Sierra trading post this morning and they got a bunch of nice hemostats half off, I know I'm always pointing out their deals but I check it pretty often and sometimes they are great.