Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishnPhil

Materials question

I am trying to figure out the hackle/collar material used for this fly:

egg-sucking-leech-purple-fly-fishing-fli

I tried strung rooster saddle but it is too short and way too stiff. Any ideas?

Also, trying to tie dolly llamas and cannot find coneheads big enough. Am I limited to x-eyes? Recipes call for 3/8 cone but I only find 1/4. The large tungstens do not look right on a 1/0 or 1 hook. Am I incorrect on the sizing?

Thank you for ideas and help!

Schlappen will work - but any I have used seems webbier than your image (which his fine and possibly preferable for wet flies). Try saltwater and steelhead saddles.

Alaska Flyfishing Goods has 3/8" Cone heads. Wear a wide brimmed hat!

https://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/shop/fly-tying/eyes-beads-cones/cone-heads/product/107857-dolly-llama-cones-3-8

You guys are fast and rock as usual. Thank you.

SilverCreek, always appreciate your information and expertise!

Charlie, I should have thought to check AK fly fishing goods. Yes, I have a big, likely goofy looking, brimmed hat I always wear fishing.

Will post the abominations I tie once the materials arrive!

I try to eyeball strung saddle hackle if I can. I ordered white for streamer wings and they were very wide hackles. Way too big for wings. That is, unless I tie a 2/0 streamer.

flytire, likely my mistake buying cheap thinking it would be big and floppy cause who wants that! What I have will work awesome for standard buggers, not so much for this which is more of a soft hackle bugger in my opinion.

steve, you could be correct, on the website that has the image below which is very similar, it lists "Indian Saddle" in the recipe section. Sadly, I Googled for "Indian Saddle" thinking it was a brand or style, then it hit me ohmy.png sad.png biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

Egg-Sucking-Leech-Fly-Pattern.jpg

In 1/0 I don't think I've seen chicken feather that will be long fibered enough to give the collar that swept back look, my first thought went to pheasant body feathers.

In 1/0 I don't think I've seen chicken feather that will be long fibered enough to give the collar that swept back look, my first thought went to pheasant body feathers.

There are hackles that are long enough.

Check the labeled schlappen feathers on the attached image of the Cree that DR. Tom Whiting is holding. Click on the attached image to enlarge it.

Strung vs Schlappen Hackle

post-27478-0-63092000-1551150397_thumb.png

One fine bird.

How are the rachis in those genetic schlappen, wrappable all the way?

One fine bird.

How are the rachis in those genetic schlappen, wrappable all the way?

Whoever labeled that photo misidentified the rooster's tail feathers as schlappen. Schlappen have very fine rachises and wrap very nicely -- wonderful feathers for certain situations.

post-3898-0-66735200-1551220889_thumb.jpg

My bet on saltwater hackle or Chinese neck hackle..

Steve-stabgnid

For my money, I think Steve is spot on. The Egg-Sucking Leech is just a Woolly Bugger with some sort of egg-pattern at the front. No need to resort to expensive schlappen, just find some long well tapered strung hackle, and when you palmer the hackle forward to the thorax, just wrap a few extra turns right at your stopping point. Then when you wrap the chenile at the eye, wrap back over the hackle, making it sweep back as per the photo. I like doing this because it builds a heavier profile in the front, but I suspect the fish do not care. If you want a heavier look, just use more than one hackle.

Typically I use 1/4" cones on my Dolly Llamas and while I have a few store bought versions with the larger cones, I've rarely felt the need to fish them (and really don't enjoy casting them). My understanding is those really big ones are more for Kings than anything else, and I typically do not target Chinook. YMMV.

Hmm, jcozzz got me thinking. I remember I have at least one left from years ago. The collar is definitely feathers. It also appears to be a very tapered feather, as whatfly says. Think the hackles I have might work for a few, just have to be more selective which feathers I use.

Thanks everyone!!

Pics of the one I have attached

post-63076-0-08936100-1551400159_thumb.jpg

post-63076-0-77986400-1551400184_thumb.jpg