Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Angelina for Streamers

I have used Angelina fibers for years to add flash to synthetic streamer wings, hot spots on nymphs, and chopped into dubbing for color/flash highlights,.

I decided to try it out as alone as wings on streamers. It looks promising as the picts show. In the smaller size -- I tied them on #4 2x long hooks --- the crappies should go for it and even trout and smallmouth when they are hammering the young of the year minnows. Anyway, next experiment will be some mini clousers....

Rocco

What Mark said. Though for smallmouth bass some days a bit of flash is a good thing. Other days a drab 'ol olive nondescript that looks like weeds on a hook is what they want.

I "dilute" the Angel Hair with Fly Fur. Adds thickness so the tail matches the body better and reduces flash (is also about 900% cheaper). These are all synthetic and very durable.

J1ganGK.jpg

I have used Angelina fibers for years to add flash to synthetic streamer wings, hot spots on nymphs, and chopped into dubbing for color/flash highlights,.

[snip]

Have tied a Thundercreek-style streamer with Angel Hair (essentially the same as Angelina if a bit finer) for some time. As other observed, all that flash does not always make a better fly, but in situations with low visibility, they can really produce.

I'll let you know if the flies scare the bejabbers out of the fish.

With all the rain -- high and muddy water is the norm here now. So early tests won't tell the whole story.

The local guides have been into Creedex flashers for a few seasons now and they are doing well on them with the smallies anyway.

Rocco

I had to look up angelina fiber. I did, at some point, have box of it. What I used it for was to add flash to my dubbing. I've use angel hair for "flash blending" with Mirror Image to give my bait fish patterns a bit of flash. I've never found flashy flies very effective in fresh water. I have seen fish shy away from them in clear water. They may be more effective in salt water, but a lot of my bait fish patterns are cross overs that I use in both fresh and salt water so mine don't have a lot of flash.

I use very understated flash in my flies, finding that to produce best for me overall. Sometimes none at all.