Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

A nymph ID please

Here are two nymphs I found, can you guys ID them for me. I know that the top ones a stone and the bottoms a mayfly--but thats it.

Thanks in advance.

ImportedPhotos00036.jpg

ImportedPhotos00038.jpg

Jan

Jan -

The top one is a Heptageniidae Stream Mayfly, I think that bottom one is an immature Perlidae common stonefly nymph

Great pics of both!

-Greg

Thanks for the ID Greg, the stonefly I did think it was a bit small--I could see the empty husks of big honking stones all over, easily four times the size of this one.

Jan

Hi Jan and Salty, Top I am calling juvenille golden stone, cause I believe you were in Idaho for these and the Heptageniidae are not common there. Cheers, Jeff.

As far as my entemology goes, based on the head and segmentation on the top photo, I'm gunna call it... wait for it... a stonefly and not a mayfly. Second one I know for a fact not to be a stone. I would say a Deleatidium... could be completely wrong... which is 90% of the time.

The coloring threw me off, I'm looking at the Audubon field guide which doesn't have a pic of a golden stone. But re-looking at the head I can see the resemblance better to the stone. Also the 2 tails rather then 3 should have been more of a clue.

Jan-

Your 2nd photo is a Mayfly of family Ephemerellidae, genus Drunella, either D. flavilinea or D. coloradensis, which are difficult to distinguish for one another in their nymphal lifestage. Western fly fishers generally refer to them as Flavs or Lesser Green Drakes.

Hi Jan, wish I had a size reference, I am thinking 14. I'd throw a grey drake at it. Cheers, Jeff.

Drake is too small for an 18, and without going all latin on you. I find bugs at the river I am working and tie to match it. Streamside inventions have worked well for me. And yes Jan, I do not know many of the Latin names, though I do respect anyone who does. I think I can out fish them though, nothing in nature is preprogrammed.

Cheers, Jeff.

Ok, thanks for the help! Could I get an ID on this little fella?

Jan-

I believe it to be of family Heptageniidae.