Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bug Dope

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

What works the best? I like the deepwoods off but that stuff always finds a way of getting on my lips blink.gif What else works well?

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,979 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:18 PM

I use a couple different ones but mostly anything thats close to 99-100% deet works great for me, just dont get it near your mouth and keep it away from kids because anything with that much deet is very strong. Couple sprays from it on the river and birds will be falling dead out of trees unsure.gif wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:31 PM

One time my wife and I were in the UP at the Cut River bridge, we were gonna camp out at the mouth wheree it goes into Lake Michigan. Well we got some stuff that was 100% deet, well we each just closed our eyes and let the other one spray us down help.gif That stuff tastes like crap! e ended up getting a hotel room so we could take showers laugh.gif

#4 flyfishtn

flyfishtn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:20 PM

99-100% deet will do it everytime. Have been very tempted from what I hear from some of the guides here in TN to try the Orvis Buzz Off...!!
My fly fishing, tying and random thoughts blog: flyfishtn

\><((((((*>

#5 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

Saywer (sp) encapsulated deet. Lotion type dope, smells ok and works for a long time. If I HAVE to use 100% deet. I spray it on a banndana and them tie it around my neck. This helps keep it off your skin (stuff is nasty!!), and away from my 'plastics'. A point that has been missed, is that this stuff will turn most manmade materials into goo in no time.

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#6 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

Ultrathon.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#7 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:43 PM

Saywer (sp) encapsulated deet. Lotion type dope, smells ok and works for a long time. If I HAVE to use 100% deet. I spray it on a banndana and them tie it around my neck. This helps keep it off your skin (stuff is nasty!!)

So you use it kinda like a flea collar then, without spraying any anywhere on yourself just the rag?

#8 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:52 AM

One point that has been overlooked too is that bug spray will turn your new $60 flyline into a $60 piece of crap. It has a bad habit of eating up the plastic-like coatings on the lines. So avoid the stuff on your hands so I use Bens's spray. And like otheres said put it on clothes not skin. Well because I like my skin I guess! Anything that will eat plastic has to be bad shit.gif !
Tight lines
FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#9 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:56 AM

I don't think I read "Avon Skin-So-Soft" mentioned. It will work very well for some bugs that DEET will not. Especially gnats that cloud over the Ozarks from February 5th through January 31........ Yeah... you read that right.... blink.gif

And I echo Flymaster that there are a LOT of things we use on our hands, including DEET, that will eat the coating right off your flyline.
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#10 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:54 PM

Lemon-Eucalyptus has some value, but for the long haul DEET is the one.

Gnats!, I thought those were Midges, if I'd known they were gnats I'd of spit 'em out!
Taney County, Missouri

#11 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:05 PM

Head net works for me...

Only thing that bothers me is the buzzing.

F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#12 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (wayne SW/MO @ Jan 19 2005, 02:54 PM)
Gnats!, I thought those were Midges, if I'd known they were gnats I'd of spit 'em out!

No Wayne, don't spit him out!!!! Stick a #28-32 scud hook up his Mooning-Smilie.gif and fling him towards a nice Rainbow!!!! thumbsup.gif

Does that count as bait.gif ?
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#13 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

I'm with Daryn. Ultrathon is the best there is for anything that flies without a hook in it. Developed for the military and available in aerosol and lotion. Lasts for 8 hours and really does work.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#14 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:41 PM

I recall a review in a magazine of a repellant that wouldn't mess up fly line and other synthetics. I think it was Fly Fish America, but would have to go through a stack of magazines to find the review. Anyone know what the product is??? help.gif

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#15 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:16 PM

You absolutely can't beat Ben's 100% Deet. Nothing comes around you with that stuff on. It even comes in a very small bottle to keep in your vest. I like it because you can just spray some into your hand like aftershave, rub it on the back of your neck and forearm and nothing "bugs" you all day.

I made a pun....

----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan