Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Tacky fly box method of attaching a safety cord

I have several Tacky Fly Boxes to store all of my flies in; the problem is they don't have any appendage that you could hook a safety cord on so when it accidentally gets dropped into the lake or on a stream, it's not gone for good.

Does anybody have any ideas for how to attach some kind of safety cord on them? I don't want to use any type of fishing line, was more thinking of the rubberized curly lines with snap swivel on each end.

I know it's probably a long shot, but someone out there must have come across the same issue and solved it. :-}

SD

During my time in the military, I had similar situations frequently.

Compass, canteens, utensils of different types ... they all had pockets they fit into but, when I took them out to use them, dropping could result in losses. Most of the pockets had embroidered or grommet/rivet holes in the bottoms.

Using parachute cord (with the core removed to reduce diameter), I would attach the cord to the hole with a knot above and below. The only thing showing was the outside of the two knots. The other end of the 15 inches or so of cord would be attached to the item, usually with a Velcro loop pad glued to the item and the hook the hook pad on the cord. If I wanted it loose, I could separate the Velcro ... but dropping it when pulling it out would only allow it to drop a foot or so.

When putting the item IN the pocket, it just took an extra second to slip the cord in first.

paracord attachment.jpg

Along the lines that Mike suggested, you could also find an adhesive backed anchor that you could tie whatever you want to use as a safety line to, such as: https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Adhesive-Backed-Holders,-Screw-Hole-Provides-long(50pack)/dp/B07JMSWNC8/ref=sr_1_46

Note, the newer Tacky Boxes appear to come with eyelets, so this is primarily a problem with the original models.

Weight is probably the biggest downside of all silicone fly boxes, and why I do not use them myself. Had not thought of it, but I imagine they sink quite fast.

clip-on-retractable-display-reels-rt-12-

would this work?

stick it to your fly box then clip it to your shirt

all-direction-reractable-key-chain-displ

adhesive-display-retractable-rt-14-5.jpg

use gorilla tape to attach a string to the box and tie the other end to a key ring

be creative. experiment

Flytire ... do you know if any of those zingers will support the weight of a fly box?

I tried the largest one I had at the time, when I was setting up a lanyard for wading, and none of them would retract with even my smallest box on.

Thanks guys... whatfly has exactly what I was looking for, but didn't know how to describe it... it will work perfectly attached to the bottom of the box. Interesting that the newer boxes have the eyelet; I have been in contact with the Tacky folks, asked the same question, and didn't get a reply.... interesting, to say the least!

Thanks again everybody...

SD

Thanks guys... whatfly has exactly what I was looking for, but didn't know how to describe it... it will work perfectly attached to the bottom of the box. Interesting that the newer boxes have the eyelet; I have been in contact with the Tacky folks, asked the same question, and didn't get a reply.... interesting, to say the least!

Thanks again everybody...

SD

Maybe that is why they named the company "Tacky".

Forgive me if this was mentioned before, but couldn't one drill a small hole in the bottom corner of the lower case, thread a small loop of cord through the hole, & tie it off?