Fly Tying
CoachBob

How long per fly?

How long per fly?  

270 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I spend a lot of time teaching fly tying to non-experts. All of the patterns I teach are intented to be fished and, obviously, many new tyers take a lot longer than more experienced tyers per fly.

However, if your materials are laid out, many patterns can be tied very quickly. Tiny thread bodied nymphs take longer to put the hook in the vise than to tie. Foam beetles and hoppers with pre-punched foam can be produced in just a couple of minutes and then I might spend a lot more time decorating them. (Which is really kind of silly since the fish sees the underside of the fly.) Wooly buggers are what? Five minutes max.

I don't have a lot of patience at the vise.

Am I the odd duck?

I enjoy tying, so I dont really look at how long it takes me. Whenever I get done with it, is just that, whenever I get done.

Anywhere from 45 seconds to 3 days (including drying time).

Anywhere from 45 seconds to 3 days (including drying time).

I am with Dave, simple nymphs and I am set up to tie a few hundred, less than a minute. A super realistic, or a full dress Salmon fly, just as long as it takes, I have one Full dress going now that I have 3 hours into the tag, tail and first floss segment.

Cheers, Futzer.

However long it takes. I am not a fast tier and I go to the stream with (1) pretty sparse box of flies compared to most I see. I don't loose many flies, due to the methods I normally fish. I enjoy the process more than the product. I wasn't always this way, but have come to enjoy fly fishing much more now.

i put 15 min.,being that that would probably be the average of the different flies i tie.Wooly bugger,2min max..Traditional dry about 8 or 9 minutes,emergers anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes,foam ants,beeteles..3 minutes...A full tricked out dave's hopper about 45 minutes....I guess that would comeout to about a 15 munute average dony u think

shane

I range greatly too, glowbugs are less than a minute, but one of my realistic flies took over 50hrs to complete, and I tie a lot of Salmon flies, and those take a long time as well.

Well, I also enjoy tying salmon flies, and the process is the fun part so those I take as long as I need to tie which can turn into 5 hours a sitting very easily. Otherwise, I try not to rush to much when I'm tying because I've found that while I may tie a fly quickly and it would catch fish, I just don't feel as good about the fly knowing I could've done better. But there are those flies that are just plain easy, and I can crank them out.

I 've only begun to worry with time and tying . I have been asked to share patterns and with everyone I share

people always want a gauge of what ammount of tying time is involved. Normally when tying for myself time does'nt exist. I'll find myself so absorbed in a pattern sometimes I tie into the wee hours of the morning and not even realize.

Coach Bob , thank you and the rest of the guys for inviting me to the Acadiana fly Rodders Day. It was a great time . Ya'll have a great bunch of people over there that really made the event special. If I'am so blessed to be invited back next year I will plan to spend the weekend so I wont miss out on the other activities.Thanks again , Fred

Am I the odd duck?

Nope not at all. I never spend more than about 10 mins max when it comes to fishing flies. Our rivers here in MI are so choke full of lumber if I spent more than 10 mins on a fly I'd end up gettuing way to PO'ed when I lost 2-3 flies in a row to logs. So for me I try to keep the patterns to about 5 mins for most. Or if its a dry or something a bit more time consuming then 10 mins per. If its a pattern that takes longer than that then I'll tie something else that will work.

Steve

I am new to tying so 10 min for a woolley bugger, 1 Min for an egg pattern, 15 min for a hendrickson nymph, lots of breaks in between flies to enjoy some scotch or beer.

Since I only tie the flies for fishing, no realistic ones, for example, I will not go beyond the 10 minute marker for a fly. I do agree with others that the tying process is quite enjoyable but I like to keep it as efficient as possible for practical reasons.