Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

WHAT DO YOU USE THE MOST?

What fly do you use the most?  

790 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really depends on what species i'm chaseing ..salmon,steelies,trout,etc.. but most of my fishing is coldwater so i find myself using dries most of the time. There are many times where a nymph or streamer will be more productive or catch larger fish and i will use them, but i really like to feel the cast of a dry and watch the take as the fish slurp it off the surface. So i voted dries

SD

For me it's definitely nymphs because steelhead are my most accessible fish, HOWEVER given my choices it would be dries for sure! I'll even use them for steel in the spring despite my lack of success with them!

sorry bum aint ever heard of salt water...................................dontlive near it, cant afford to go, dont have the rod or flies........If i knew some of those flies i would have put it in there bud, next time tell me and ill do it lol

I voted dry fly, I fish trout the most and use parachute adams the most. On my favorite river I can usually get strikes and hookups with them even if there is no prevelent hatch.

Jim

Hi group,

I've used the Renegade all over the world in all water types. It is my favorite fly. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi Will,

Yes, the picture in the hyper-link is the dry version of the Renegade I use. It was developed in the 1930s by Taylor Williams (Sun Valley, Idaho) as a wet fly but has evolved into the dry fly we see in fly shops today. I tie and fish it in a range of sizes from 3/0 to #24, both wet and dry. Sometimes I add dumb bell or bead chain eyes or a bead head. Listed below is an expanded recipe explaining the different versions:

Renegade (wet or dry)

Hook: wet, streamer, dry, salt, size 3/0 to 22

Thread: Black, hot orange, chartreuse

Tag: flat silver tinsel (original), hot orange or chartreuse (hot spot version)

Back hackle: brown, wet or dry, sparse or heavily hackled depending on version

Body: peacock herl, add chenille on the front half the body for the "Super version"

Center hackle: grizzly on the Super Renegade only

Front hackle: white, wet or dry, sparse or heavily hackled depending on version

Head: Thread, black, hot orange, or chartreuse

Bead head or dumb bell eyes: on the wet, steelhead, or saltwater verisions

Take care & Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Dries, whenever givin the choice... more than half the time i fish I would say... something about dry fly fishing that gets my blood movin.. rockon.gif

From the looks of the renegade fly the locals here call it a "sheepscreek" in a nymph pattern. It is a popular fly for catching especially recently planted fish. Interesting because I never gave it much thaught asides from a couple heavily planted and hard fished small lakes that I visit out of convenience. I will start tying it on more often. Thanks for heads up Al!

and I voted wooly booger, pretty much covers all bases.