Fly Tying
add147

Ebay Score...I hope I did not screw myself!

I ran across a lady who was selling her father's fly tying stuff because his eye sight was getting bad and he could no longer tie. I picked up this lot which I did not think was to bad. Of course some of y'all might say what a dumb*ss I was for spend money on a bunch crap. Anyway I happy with it so I guess that is all that matters plus I helped out someone who probably could use the money. I unpacked everything and placed it in zip lock bags this evening.

Later on I am going to have to post some more close up pictures of some of the stuff because it is not labeled and I have no idea what it is much less how to use it.

I do have one question on duck quills. It looks like to me that they have been sprayed with some sort of clear sealer. It that suppose to be like that?

post-52478-0-96405400-1406001195_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-54110200-1406001254_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-74854900-1406001302_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-11249700-1406001348_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-67843300-1406001389_thumb.jpg

There is a good mix of stuff there. Notice some otter and possibly a Lady amherst head?

The coated feathers were probably for wing cases on nymphs.

good find. nothing wrong with what you bought

Of course some of y'all might say what a dumb*ss I was for spend money on a bunch crap. Anyway I happy with it so I guess that is all that matters plus I helped out someone who probably could use the money.

don't beat yourself up. people have spent more and have gotten a lot less! :)

Some very useful stuff there...LOTS of dubbing and what looks like a whole gray squirrel hide? Nice! Looks like a decent quantity of hooks, too, although it's hard to see what kind. Looks like a good haul.

Just agreeing with the other guys here. Looks to me like you did very well for yourself. All useable materials at the tying bench. Have fun with all this............................

Dale's Hackle & Tackle. That's the small shop that would eventually move across the road and become Bob Marriott's FF Store. That packaging must be c.1980. Might bring back a few memories for someone,...like paying $75 for a new CFO reel, upgrading those "rubber" bootfoot waders for some modern Seal Dri latex stockingfoot waders, or getting sticker shock when seeing a top grade "plastic" rod priced at $250.

Like Piker said, the sprayed quills are probably for nymph cases and such. The coating just helps keep the quill together when used. I've used sprayed quills for upright wings on dry flies also.

BCT

... what a dumb*ss I was for spend money on a bunch crap.

Unless I am missing something, you didn't say how much you spent on all of this. If you got it for, say, $500.00 ... then you ARE a dumb***. But I am assuming that you spent WELL below that number, in which case, you probably did good.

There's a LOT of good materials there, and some very useful ones if you are branching out and trying different kinds of flies.

With lots like that available, I am going to start following E-bay, too.

... what a dumb*ss I was for spend money on a bunch crap.

Unless I am missing something, you didn't say how much you spent on all of this. If you got it for, say, $500.00 ... then you ARE a dumb***. But I am assuming that you spent WELL below that number, in which case, you probably did good.

There's a LOT of good materials there, and some very useful ones if you are branching out and trying different kinds of flies.

With lots like that available, I am going to start following E-bay, too.

Crap I should have kept my mouth shut on my find...Now I will have competition and someone bidding against me...LOL...I paid $50 for the lot...Not to bad I didn't think...

I saw that same listing & checked it out. Not a lot there I had interest in, but figured someone would get a pretty good deal with it. Congrats on the acquisition!

IMO, the "trick" with buying such Ebay lots or any used tying materials/supplies on Ebay or anywhere else is having a good idea about the current prices of similar new items & of course if you can use the majority of the items in such a lot. I've bought some estate lots a few times on Ebay where there was only a few items I really had use for, but for the price I made out real good. Like paying $10 for a Whiting saddle & getting the other included items for free. The saddle is certainly worth that! All a matter of knowing your needs & the value of what's listed.

You also have to be willing to "pay" a good price. I've outbid some folks a few times who tried to nickle & dime an auction. If you want something cheap, fine, but if it's got any "true" value to it, there's usually going to be someone else willing to pay a higher price. Especially true with fly tying items because there's a high demand. IMO, some folks get "stupid" with bidding. It's one thing to win an auction, it's another to pay way too much! You won't win auctions against bidders who are only interested in "winning"! It's often easy to win auctions against folks not willing to pay a fair price. Again, know the value of what you're trying to buy with auctions! wink.png

I'll bid based on what I would be willing to pay for new materials. As an example, I wouldn't bid $50 for a dry fly cape knowing I could get the same cape for $35 new somewhere else. But, If it's something I really want & need, and can still get at a good price ( with shipping of course) then I'll bid accordingly. smile.png

For that price, you did good IMO!

I see some good stuff in there! I like to browse ebay sometimes I find what I need at a good price sometimes I could get the same stuff cheaper buying from a dealer. When I started tying I lucked into an ebay auction that netted a 25 pound box of tools and materials paid $75. I would have paid that for the Regal Medallion vise plus there were 3 other vises griffin, thompson and unknown basically it was a whole set up including a crap ton of fur, feathers, flash and hooks. I have barely made a dent in six years!

Looks like a decent haul, especially for the price! As for the duck quills, they were most likely used for wing cases as others have stated but I know that some guys who tie classic winged wet flies like to coat their quills with flex cement or similar to make quantities of wings.

Seing the Universal Vice logo brings back memories of my early tying purchases back in the 70's. You got a good deal, now go enjoy tying all the flies you have the materials for.

By the way Mike, I try to say that I am saving money by tying my own but if I add up the cost of all the materials I have bought over the years I could have bought a shops worth of flies. I hope you have more restraint than I do.

Steve

Steve, I've still got a few things from Universal. happy.png

By the way Mike, I try to say that I am saving money by tying my own but if I add up the cost of all the materials I have bought over the years I could have bought a shops worth of flies. I hope you have more restraint than I do.

I doubt I've saved money. I probably could have bought the shop! Very little restraint here! laugh.png

If Mike's saving by tying, more power to him! smile.png

Dale's Hackle & Tackle. That's the small shop that would eventually move across the road and become Bob Marriott's FF Store. That packaging must be c.1980. Might bring back a few memories for someone,...like paying $75 for a new CFO reel, upgrading those "rubber" bootfoot waders for some modern Seal Dri latex stockingfoot waders, or getting sticker shock when seeing a top grade "plastic" rod priced at $250.

Yep, Dale's is where I learned to tie back in the late '70's. Couple years ago I took a similar package & showed it to Bob, got a smile out of him.