Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Surface Feeding Percentage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wildnative

Wildnative

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:58 PM

I have read in several periodical publications and in several fly fishing books, that a trout will eat 80 to 90 percent of its food subsurface (nymphs, emergers).

Do you feel this is really true on all waters, or are there waters where trout feed on the surface more?

And, if trout do eat such a high percentage subsurface, why are we able to catch them on the surface even when a hatch isn't happening?

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:40 AM

Yes I believe that statement to be true. The shear amount of food that is avaliable to a trout subsurface is stagering if you have ever used a net under the surface to collect nymph. If you havent then give it a try this summer and kick over a few rocks then see whats in the net, you'd be amazed.

"Why do they still feed on the surface when theres no hatch?" .....

Usually the only fish that will feed on the surface when there is no hatch going on is the smaller little "dinks" not the larger trout. So I would say the smaller fish are just so full of energy they will take whatever looks like food without careing about expelling the energy. The larger trout usually wont feed on top without a hatch.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:58 AM

A good pair of polarized sunglasses will tell you where they are at in the water column. It seems that when a good hatch is going off, the predominate trout have the best feeding lanes where there is a two-tone in the current, and they can get lift with minimal effort. I have noticed the risers pick up with the heat of the hatch, and the trout seem to wait till the flys are clustering up. then they can get 2ormore for the price of one rise tongue.gif

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#4 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

Hey AA me and you have discussed the holston tailwaters before correct? Would you still think that a river with such a great hatch would still be that high of a %. I bet it is high but I wonder if it would be less subsurface than like out MTN streams. I am sure it would be. But still the big pig fish will be feeding uder but with an ocassional rise to raise my blood pressure!

my .02

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#5 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:59 AM

Where I fish the trout only feed on the surface for a percentage of the year, and most times it is the smaller fish. the larger prey on them.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain