Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peartree

Torrential downpour brings a sad day

Here in central Virginia we've been having some major flooding issues over the past week. Kind of a sad day, the end blew out of this great little fishing pond yesterday behind our old house. Pond where I taught my kids to fish, canoe and kyak. Lots of great memories and many, many fish caught.

post-54336-0-84001600-1526877492_thumb.jpg

This was in Mechanicsville. Doubtful it will ever get fixed due to the cost involved. County was told about it being a potential wash out over 6months ago, they decided there was no HOA in the subdivision and no one they could bill, so they bascially stated it wasn't their problem. Techinally owned by at least 4 different homeowners, who will never get together on repairs. Just sad, most of the fish are probably in Beaverdam Creek now. Lots of big turtles looking for a home, and I'm sure the smell is going to be pretty bad here shortly.

Most small ponds and reservoirs I'm familiar with have a dam on the incoming water to back it up. If the dam blew out why isn't there a creek running through that sad looking puddle of mud? Where did the water the pond was holding come from if not from a creek flowing through? And you are probably right about the smell getting strong, at least for awhile until it completely dries out.

There's a small underground spring that is located just about where I took the picture that now drains down the busted dam. All of the water volume that busted the dam actually came from a cement drainage ditch that runs in from the far end if the pond, upper left in picture. The county claims that no, it does not run off from the neighborhood, but then again these are also the same people who claim that the 6"metal conduit pipe running to a ground transformer that crosses over the creek behind the dam is actually a sewage pipe.

Sad to lose a functioning little pond like that but it was one of those things you had no control over. If the pond had any local benefits maybe you could get DNR or county to help reconstruct it.

Looks to be a man made tank, so a half day or so with dozer will remake it, when reconstructing the dam take the over flow out with a pipe sucking near the pond bottom and discharging below and away from the dam bottom or ditch it well away from the dam before allowing any fall in elevation. It is the erosion of the down stream sides of a dam that causes failure.

From the puddle and the runlet i guessed a spring near the leaning tree by the house.