Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
garroyo2

Greetings from Austin

Hi all,

New to the forum and excited to learn some new stuff. I am relatively new to fly fishing as well as fly tying but am interested in learning. Right now the biggest challenge is motivation. Being that I mainly fish for bluegill, I have found it difficult to challenge myself to learn different patterns. Not sure if anyone can relate, but I just feel like I would put a heck of a lot more effort into learning advanced techniques if they were what was keeping me from landing fish. Anyhow, glad to be here and hope to learn a ton.

Welcome to the site, Garroyo.

I'm a warm water angler, too, here in Florida. Sunfish of all species, a few bass here and there and a few Crappie when they're hitting.

But I am a little different than the average fly tier, since I do not tie flies just to tie flies. I only tie what I need for my fishing, usually.

I find that, once in a while, I'll see something different that might entice a few more hits ... and there's my inspiration for new techniques.

Welcome from SE PA. Like Mike I mainly fish warm water these days, about 75% of the time. I tie flies because it relaxes me and I'm always looking for something new to tie. You would be amazed at the number of different types of pan fish flies you can tie from a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of craft foam.

there is nothing wrong with tying only what you fish with or plan to fish with. That's all I do and I have no desires to learn a new technique if I have no desires of fishing the fly. I wouldn't call it a lack of motivation. There's plenty of room in fly tying for all the different reasons why. Welcome.