Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Early season buck, first archery harvest!

17 replies to this topic

#1 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

After a long sit in the blind Saturday, as I was packing up to leave, I noticed some movement, antlers moving as a buck stepped out into my clearing just 20 yards away. Though the light was fading fast, through the scope he was clear as day, so when he presented a shot, I took it! Either I pulled the shot or the buck flinched, or a combination of the two, but the bolt passed through his neck, up high, and that 2 whitetail special Razortip by Grim Reaper Broadheads cut his jugular. So even though the shot wasnt where I intended, it resulted in an easy 25 yard blood trail, quick recovery, and no wasted meat. This 157 pound 8 point is my first harvest with archery equipment, and my largest buck (second one ever!) to date. Heres to the next one! At that weight, Im excited to pick up my 60-70 pounds of venison from the processors soon!

Anyone else had some success yet this season? Lets see them!

Attached Thumbnails

• 13051248-D4C7-426B-BA81-DC950DDE41F4.jpeg
  • 0C17B61D-01B7-43E1-9F99-833308E4B290.jpeg

<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#2 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:17 AM

Very nice I am waiting for the smoke pole season.

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,161 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:27 AM

Congrats on a good lookin' buck.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

Beautiful animal.  Nice, clean kill. 

Let me know early, since I'll need a couple of days to plan the drive so I can be there for dinner!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

Lots of tying material.

Rick

#6 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

Oh fisherboy, come on get yourself a 'proper' bow.

Just messin with you. I think bow hunting is far more natural than with lead. More like the caveman in us. Do you get Turkey where you are? Will you be keeping the deer hair for flies?
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#7 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:48 AM

I plan to upgrade to a modern compound bow soon. Probably still not a proper bow to most.

Yes we get turkey and I intend to harvest that and a boar with my new crossbow as well!

I kept a patch of belly hair but I have way too many bucktails as it is!
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#8 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

Yeah there always seems like far too much hair when you start cutting patches doesn't there.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#9 Vivian

Vivian

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:47 AM

SPAM REMOVED AND BANNED.

#10 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:33 AM

kinda agree with piker a crossbow really isn't much different than a rifle or shotgun have to be a bit closer but basically the same.

#11 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

kinda agree with piker a crossbow really isn't much different than a rifle or shotgun have to be a bit closer but basically the same.

Except for the higher impact of wind, rain, vegetation, etc. and finding the proper combo of bow/bolt/broadhead. The only similarities are the stock, scope and trigger. You have to be more precise, practice more, and wait for a more optimal shot placement than with any firearm.

#12 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Crossbow and shotgun with slugs ... somewhat similar. 

Crossbow and rifle ... like comparing a golf ball thrown by hand (50-60 yards, maybe) to one hit with a club (good player can get downrange 300 to 400 yards).

Barbed hooks rule!

#13 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:38 PM

A crossbow can realistically only be compared to a real bow. In which case, just like comparing it to a rifle, there is no comparison and a crossbow can never be considered a bow, a shotgun, or a rifle. With that said, I say use whatever you like. Me, I'd like to take one with an atlatl but I absolutely hate venison unless it's mixed with lots of pork fat and cheese.

Congrats on your second buck and I wish you bigger and better in the future.

#14 Peartree

Peartree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:33 PM

Got my first one of the year this afternoon. 80yds with my blackpowder rifle. Not a big rack, but he'll be good eating.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181107_170401860.jpg

#15 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:25 AM

NICE shot, Peartree !!!

I've thrown with an atlatl ... great distance, but I'll never get enough practice to try hunting with one.

Barbed hooks rule!

Reply to this topic