Fly Tying
GG34

UV Resins

I went and bought some of the thin and thick clear cure goo. I was curious on how everybody uses it. Are most using it in place of head cement or crazy glue? I'm interested in all the various uses. Thanks for help.

haha. You idiot Retro!

I think the thicker UV cured goos are good for flies like candies and epoxy shrimp, and for building heads on flies like deceivers.

The thin stuff probable just as a head cement.

My other half is a nail technician, so I use her UV cured shellacs and top coats for the head cements.

Thanks Dave for the vote of incompetence lol ,,,I tend to use the thinner stuff on smaller flies like buzzers , wing cases for copper johns and also heads of my flies etc etc ....

The thicker stuff as Dave said.... to build up heads and some times bodies on larger flies ...it's also great for securing eyes to flies .

i dont believe a uv resin is a "glue" that bonds 2 materials together since the light cannot penetrate

you can coat over eyes and they will stay on or "glue" them on with a crazy glue and the overcoat with uv resin

I all but stopped using uv cured for large heads on flies because it's just flat out cost to much to use uv resin for this.

I use CA glue to stick the eyes and then overcoat with epoxy or whatever you like.

Solarez is marketing some very good products and systems. Their light is heavy duty and holds a charge a long time. It comes with a charger also. The resins are available in a multitude of viscosities and hardnesses. They also cure very quickly, without the greasy film that many other UV brands produce when fully cured. I find it extremely useful for heads or crab bodies, or baitfish bodies. Just remember, light must penetrate the resin or it won't harden. So, you can tint it, but not mix opaque pigments. Painting the underlayment of a body produces the correct color, and then a coating of the UV resin makes the body shine like in real life, and protects all the work that you did beforehand.

post-55273-0-58382600-1467935241_thumb.jpeg

I just bought my first batch of UV resin.I'm impressed overall,but I wouldn't use it on a regular head.I reserve KG for that.