Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Action Camera's

I have been looking in to getting a action camera. The main things it will be used for is hunting and fishing. What do you use, and likes and dislikes would help me also.

Kevin

I haven't has one for a few years now but I use to use a go-pro at times. The go-pro was a well made and pretty simple to use camera that has TONS of accessories for it. Only dislike I had was the lens gave a fish eye look when filming up close, but that can be helped by buying the flat lens dive housing (I had that) and it gets rid of a bit of the fish eye look on things up close.

Its expensive, but I love my Sony FDR-x3000. Its got a better image stabilizer than any other. The lends itself moves to stabilize rather than it being digital, so you can still film in full 4K while stabilization is on, rather than the down-Rez found with go pro. Also the image quality is outstanding! I mean, almost better than some video on full size cameras Ive seen. You can also get a wrist watch to go along with it, that gives you the ability to see what the camera is seeing when a ways away. I dont know how far away it works, but Ive been 20+ yards with no lag time so far.

I think you can get it for $350-400 without the watch, and like $450-500 with the watch. Again, pricy, but I think its the best out there right now.

The only negative Ive found is that it doesnt support the same accessories as go pro, its a screw in attachment rather than the 2 prong attachment by go pro.

Here is a video I recently shot with the camera. Most of the footage was with the camera, but some wasnt. Basically the entire part after I left the dam the first time was with the camera, and also with me talking to the camera it was with the Sony. So, yeah. https://youtu.be/hTx-ggSk6_o

I use a go pro Hero Black now. It isn't nearly as easy to use as my old Ion was. The Ion is quicker to get into action, was sleeker on the head strap and easier to download on to the PC and Facebook. I don't see them around anymore though. I find the go pro too top heavy/tall to be hat mounted in a way to feel secure like the Ion was.

Ive been using a gopro hero 5 for about a year now and its served me well aside from my first one crapped out after a few months but gopro was great about sending me a new one no questions asked. Id recommend it

I have 1 of these:

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

I use it for a dash cam. It is so small that it is very hard to see just above my mirror.

You can get various options to do what you want with it.

I also have a super capacitor in it instead of a battery and it only functions when my ignition is on.

If you use the battery you can have it set to turn on with motion.

Worth a read about it on the website.

Also in use in the RC community because of it's size and weight.. Great for RC planes..