Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

10ft 3wt Xi Nymphing rod

Wz3Ttg.jpg
lY5rhz.jpg
wmuieZ.jpg
l2C5Um.jpg

Another rod just out of the shop this morning. This one is an XI series H&H blank nymphing rod. 10ft 3wt 4pc. Has a beautiful green wood seat by Ron Weber at Southwest Custom Rods matched up with one of our own custom turned grips, Lemke hardware, titanium finish guides, brown wraps with metallic gold trim and metallic blue measuring marks every 2.5" from 15" to 25" right on the rod itself.

Someone is gonna be happy, Awesome !

Yes I am!!! Lol

I suspected so, or at least wondered. It looks awesome Mcfly !

Someone is gonna be happy, Awesome !

Yes I am!!! Lol

I suspected so, or at least wondered. It looks awesome Mcfly !

Yes, he did a great job! I'll do an unboxing video when it arrives, maybe post next week. Or the week after depending on my schedule... Then in just a few weeks, I will be making a video with it while fishing! Can't wait to see how it proforms... iI it proforms half as good as it looks, it will be an amazing rod! Haha.

Well it should be the right tool for the job anyway, SanJuan big browns ?

When I'm fishing it's more like medium browns... lol

You will love it. I have one of Steve's 11' 3/4 wts with crimson wraps and standard, not so photogenic cork as yours. Works great as a nymphing tool and can lay out small dries on long casts too-- as long as the winds are not howling. Should work great on the big SJ bows sipping pocket lint flies.

Had quite a time finding a reel to balance it and found it in an unlikely Otvis Battenkill 1V large arbor reel. It is a big reel that I got for a song only to find it has a limited capacity for heavy line and backing. It was the last one of mine I tried and, bingo, it balances perfectly for me. The "large arbor" name is a delusion as it begs the question about how deep it is. It is plenty wide. The drag is super smooth.

Rocco

You will love it. I have one of Steve's 11' 3/4 wts with crimson wraps and standard, not so photogenic cork as yours. Works great as a nymphing tool and can lay out small dries on long casts too-- as long as the winds are not howling. Should work great on the big SJ bows sipping pocket lint flies.

Had quite a time finding a reel to balance it and found it in an unlikely Otvis Battenkill 1V large arbor reel. It is a big reel that I got for a song only to find it has a limited capacity for heavy line and backing. It was the last one of mine I tried and, bingo, it balances perfectly for me. The "large arbor" name is a delusion as it begs the question about how deep it is. It is plenty wide. The drag is super smooth.

Rocco

Among my missing is an almost brand new , as in hardly used, Battenkill II Disk in the 6-7 sizing they had on those. No longer made but well made. No idea why they stopped those, to come out with the new click drag. Thing is, the disk is small and it had the click feature as well. I've either misplaced that reel or someone stole it from my car but last I knew it was in the back of my car.. I could see that working on a 10 ft 3 or 4 wt. if I ever find it. I'm looking to build a 10ft 3 or4 wt. myself. Glad you brought up this point, before I cap the grip/ seat I'll see if my reel selection counters it to balance and weight inside the section if need be. A down locking seat might help too, which is something I have considered anyway..

Dave G,

I had Steve build mine with an uplocking reel seat because I wanted some extra room to do two handed casts in a pinch. That would marginally affect the balance but then again the size IV is also a bit larger and heavier.

Rocco

Rocco

Among my missing is an almost brand new , as in hardly used, Battenkill II Disk in the 6-7 sizing they had on those. No longer made but well made. No idea why they stopped those, to come out with the new click drag. Thing is, the disk is small and it had the click feature as well. I've either misplaced that reel or someone stole it from my car but last I knew it was in the back of my car.. I could see that working on a 10 ft 3 or 4 wt. if I ever find it. I'm looking to build a 10ft 3 or4 wt. myself. Glad you brought up this point, before I cap the grip/ seat I'll see if my reel selection counters it to balance and weight inside the section if need be. A down locking seat might help too, which is something I have considered anyway..
I balanced out my 9'10 4wt with a 6 wt Lamson liquid it works quite well.