Steeldrifter

Light action spin rod

cbv46h.jpg
LSTVEO.jpg
6GMis2.jpg
kn6kEe.jpg
Agj8rx.jpg
SCnTpa.jpg

Latest off the bench today. A light action spin rod for a guy that likes to finesse fish small jigs. Used a 7'6" 5wt 2pc fly blank to get the action he was after. Custom grips, microwave guides, black wraps with white trim then two turns of metallic green in the center of the wraps to go with the dark green blank.

Years, and years, and years ago I took a lamiglas 4wt. 7'6" fly rod blanks and wound it with foulproof spin guides. Of all the rods I have today that is one of the oldest and what that rod has landed would amaze the people who think it's just a lightweight fly rod blank. 5# bass, 8# walleyes, 15# northerns, and so many big panfish it's unreal. The thing of it is it doubles over about the same on a 1# bluegill and it does for a 5# walleye. The big fish might bend it longer and maybe a little deeper into the handle but I don't know how many times I've had people watch me doubled over on a whopper only to net a 2# walleye. No rod has provided more actual fun for me than that rod. One great thing that rod perfect for was leeches (yep, them things) and Lindy rigs for walleye. While others had to mess with dropping line and having drop bait from yanking against rod I would just let them load up on that light rod, drop back a bit with my arm, then lift and set. Seldom missed a strike or lost a fish that way.

Oh yeah, that guy has the right idea in an ultra light spin outfit and I only hope he enjoys his as much I've enjoyed mine, and I'll guarantee you his is a lot prettier than mine with black tape holding on an old Mitchell 408.

Awesome ! My two lightest spin rod of all my spin rods ( minus salt water) have been what I landed my biggest fish on because I fish them the most. One went missing on me though and that one was a glass blank. I should build a replacement some day.