Fly Tying
Capt Bob LeMay

back to shop flies

As things begin to slow down a bit on the water (mosquitoes begin to show up in force as the wave of visitors head back up north...) it's back to the bench, filling back-orders for the shop and individual customers. Here's the first pattern for the shop, it's a large Clouser in 2/0 (mustad 34007), with largest bead chain eyes and a wire weedguard... I've included a 1/4oz bucktail to give a size comparison (and I'm also re-filling my own supplies of bucktail jigs along with flies for the Everglades). The second pic is a close-up of a "guide's pattern", the Whitewater Clouser. It works well in a variety of circumstances, it's quick to tie, and best of all it doesn't hang when you're pounding the mangroves and not wanting to get snagged up.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-18958900-1336061954_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-59073600-1336061972_thumb.jpg

Nice looking flies and you know they will work.

How are you doing the wire weed guard and what are you using for it?

Want to do something similar for my crease flies

This copy of a sbs article that I did for Flyfishing in Saltwaters lays out the details of making and tying in a wire weedguard (at least it's one of the ways...). Let me know if there's something about it that's not clear... The attached photo shows a pretty good supply of the weedguards ready for tying in....

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/techniques/fly-recipies/swamp-rabbit

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-84804000-1336085549_thumb.jpg

Do like how neat the Guide's Pattern is, with the thread body and then both wings tied ontop of the hook.

Sorry Carson... When Fly fishing in Saltwaters folded -all the old stuff they supported went out the window... That link was valid four years ago -but not now... I looked for it on my own memory stuff and it was just gone (I suspect I was relying on what I got from them..).

And, of course, to add insult to injury... Umpqua dropped that pattern so it no longer generates a penny in royalties at all. Thtat great new pattern has to sell or it's history.... something that I suspect most contract tyers would like to forget about.

I am interested in sending Umpqua some of my patterns. You mentioned something like that on our trip...

How does that go about?

I am interested in sending Umpqua some of my patterns. You mentioned something like that on our trip...

How does that go about?

umpqua.com, has the contact information. Good luck, you are going to need it.

ps... I recommend that you Read, each Flytying book published by Jack Dennis.

Flats! Do you really have your own paturns already?

Based on my quick Instagram search, I think the answer is going to be: "No."

Will gladly stand corrected, if wrong

I have some patterns I have been thinking about, should post sooner or later...

Salty if you want pics ask Bob to add you to his email list. It doesn't let me post pics and never multiple at a time:(

Will check out Umpqua, who knows!