Fly Tying
Peterjay

Gonna Need a Bigger Kayak

Yeah ... kayaking with Seals.

"Gee, I wonder what predators these cute animals might have?"

"I know, let's go paddle around with them, look like them, and then we can figure it out!"

"Yeah, then, like, we might be able to, like, you know, like, reason with them to NOT eat the Seals!"

Maybe, give them a more stupid food source!!!

What really cracks me up is that everybody and his brother knows that the GWs are out there and what they feed on. I've seen some dumb stunts around salt water, but this one has to go into the Hall of Fame.

That just shows you how good those seals must taste (or smell). Mr. GW had another entrée available on the menu for awhile but didn't dine.

Lots of kayak fishers in my area purposely fish for sharks so they can enjoy the thrill of being towed by the shark. Some of these sharks are longer than the kayak.

post-52210-0-09784800-1409881450_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but all I see is a tricked-up picture - that fish would have to be at least 20 feet long. Even if it were legal, nobody in their right mind fishes for Great Whites from a kayak. There are sharks, and then there are great whites.

funny back in the day we used to go fishing in a row boat in the bays and hook a shark by accident, some were in the 6-7 foot range and we would end up going on a Nantucket sleigh ride around the bay till we would lose the fish or tucker it out. It was a normal experience then, now its a big deal with some.

Yeah Bob - there's a lot of that going on around here, although my agreement with large sharks precludes my participation. I agree to leave them alone, and they agree to let me keep my appendages. BTW - some of the Coast Guard kids here like to swim off a pier out on Parramore Island - or at least they did until they saw an eight-foot tiger swim past a few weeks ago. Rumors that they've since decided to chip in for a swimming pool are still unconfirmed.

There are people down in SE Fla. that go after spinner sharks in Kayaks. Spinners aren't known man-eaters, but targeting any shark that jumps at random in a kayak is asking for disaster. Then again, people down here aren't known for their common sense, which is why I fit in so well

According to my reading, of the 386 species of shark in the world, the mako (aka spinner) is the eighth most dangerous to man. Or so the sites I googled say.

Part of the being dangerous involves being a species that frequents shorlines, where people are more likely to be in the water.

Makos are generally an offshore (bluewater) species. The spinners I have caught are an inshore species that don't look anything like a Mako and are a lot of fun to catch. Bull sharks are another inshore species that have got to rank up there in the danger to man category. I had one this summer size up my 17 foot skiff for a while before moving off.

I can't verify it but I think one of those smart women yaking with the seals must have been my sister in law.....Her nick name is Stupid

I can't verify it but I think one of those smart women yaking with the seals must have been my sister in law.....Her nick name is Stupid

Ray,one shudders to think about what she calls you in return. I'll bet you could charge admission for Thanksgiving dinner at your place. I know I'd buy a ticket.

John, that was Alvin, my trained bull shark, who was out there to keep you from winning the tarpon contest. He'll do anything I ask as long as I throw him the occasional cocker spaniel.

Seriously, Dr. Julie Ball, who writes about fishing in this area, hooked a huge bull last year while livelining spot on the herring grounds. She lost it at the boat, which I suppose didn't break anybody's heart. There are bulls where I fish, though I haven't seen one. The old-timers who bottom-fish there say they won't bother you, but at the same time, I didn't see any of them dangling their feet in the water either. There are a lot of huge rays in that river - I guess that's what attracts the big sharks; I can't imagine what else they'd be after.

funny peter after all the years catching sharks over 4 foot, I got bit by a 24" bonnet head.... oh yeah he's on the wall ! that was in 1981 0r 82.