Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

International Fly Swapping

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:11 PM

There has been a lot of questions and some OLD answers in the thread on International Shipping and Swapping but all the information was outdated or misunderstood as to how it applies to present day postage. 

For International swapping I have found the simplest way is for the Swapmeister to let you know what the postage is going to cost on his end to return your flies and you can paypal him the costs. You can guesstimate the postage cost on return and include that with your flies but cash is always a scary thing to send, especially overseas. When an overseas Swapmeister finds out the cost of returning flies it is well within his rights to hold flies until he is compensated. When our Australian friend sends flies back it is around $12-$14 dollars and he should not be responsible for bearing this cost times 12 and hoping he gets reimbursed.

Let's use this thread, which I will not lock, to examine better ways to handle overseas swapping. I do not think return coupons are available anymore from what I could make of the present outdated post but I'm not sure of this. I also do not know if any countries would honor or exchange American stamps if you sent them. Let's hear some good info on options other than paypal, though that does work as well as anything since virtually everyone today uses it for it's convenience and protection, though the protection does not apply if you use "Friends and Family" instead of purchasing goods and F&F should be legitimate for our use.

#2 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

face book pay works as well also free money transfers directly to your account, the down side is you have to give Facebook your debit card info.

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

When I was hosting swaps US dollars came my way and I could use these in the swaps I joined but uk-us postage cost and a couple of missing packages got too ridiculous to justify it for me anymore
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#4 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

Ok, i have participated in several international swaps and have always thought that these should be dual swaps in conjuction with a US swap to cut down on postage. For example- US Swapmeister would hold a swap at the same time as International Swapmeister and both would have the same participants, everyone tie enough flies for both swaps and send to US Swapmeister and then I would send everyones flies to International Swapmeister. Everyone from the swaps would probably only have to pay $5 each via paypal to US Swapmeister

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

huh? this higher math seems a bit fuzzy. so the international swapmeister is left paying for the entire postage to send back to the USA?

Db5W.gif

seems easier to just stick with a simple paypal reimbursement to the international swapmeister for actual return postage

why make it harder than it really needs to be

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#6 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

No, the international swapmeister would get an estimate and send to US Swapmeister and all participants would split cost. So let me break it down for you- 2 estimates ( 1 from US to Intl destination and 1 from Intl to US) lets say that to semd 12 sets of flies is $25 each way that would be $50 total for 2 swaps worth of flies and 12 people would split the $50.

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

atx, your idea, while having some merit, assumes that the "international" SM would have the same number of tiers in that Country.  But it doesn't seem to be that way, very often. 

Lets say, when Americans, Aussies and Norwegians are all participating ... three swaps with 12 people in each Country participating?

I don't know what it takes to accept money from PayPal ... but that does seem to be the easiest answer. 

Swapmeisters, perhaps, should be required to have PayPal, if it doesn't cost anything.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

I kind of agree with Bigfoot on this one atx. If two Swapmeisters from two countries wanted to give your idea a go I'd be fine with it through our board but would watch it closely to see how it worked. Seems to be bringing more responsibility into the game and increases the chances of someone dropping the ball along the way. 

Mike, paypal does charge for purchases either from businesses or Classified sales items but they also have a gift version of sending money without charging and since this is not a purchase I think it is within the guidelines of paypal to use the no charge option. On the other board I mod I just deleted a bunch of items in Classified from a member of board who specifically said to use "Friends and family" in paypal to pay for items so he wouldn't incur their charges. This is against paypal rules and also the rules of our Classified section. 

#9 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

Ok just bringing some ideas to the table, isnt that what you were asking for when you created this thread?

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

just let the international swapmeister decide how to run his/her own swap and how to manage the return postage

its worked so far so why try to reinvent the wheel

how many international swaps per year does this forum have?

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh