Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Caddis for Christmas VI

Caddis flies only

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:26 PM

selecting deer hair

https://globalflyfis...cting-deer-hair

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#17 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

Breambuster has taken Stabgnid's spot.  Welcome BB

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#18 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:40 PM

Marked that link Norm. I will have a couple of full hides to use as I see fit here in a week or so if I want them. Tried making use of a hide a couple of weeks but botched it. Need to get borax since salt didn't really do the trick. My problem with deer hair in the sparkle pupa is the flair it takes from the couple of patches I have. My dwindling patch of Elk flares slightly but not like the deer, which is better suited to deer hair ties. Thanks for the link.

#19 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:41 AM

Bob, ready for the address.

#20 Woodenlegs

Woodenlegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:26 AM

Cased Caddis are done ready to mail. Hope you and your family are not in the fire zone.

#21 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

We are about 90 miles from the fire, but the smoke from it is very bad here.  

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

Fishing Bob

#22 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

flies are in the mail

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#23 Idaho RC

Idaho RC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

I tried tying some of the caddis pupas with the remaining stock I have but had to put in an order for Antron and some other goodies to get this done right. Should be here any day now and I can get to vice. Hopefully soon because next Tuesday I get to have a first failed surgical procedure done again. When he says he has to be more aggressive about creating scar tissue in there it means I'll have time I can't sit at bench or be doped up too much to tie. If worse comes to worst I can always do some basic elk hair caddis.

By the way. I've tried tying caddis with deer hair from various patches but it just flairs too much. What and where would you order deer hair patch to work for caddis. I recently had a whole hide I cut up patches on but botched the curing and threw out. I can get another full pelt soon and where would be good hair to take from.

I have Elk Hair for my Elk Hair Caddises that I bought from Blue Ribbon Flies that I have been really happy with.  If I remember it wasn't cheap but it's really nice to tie with.  Its best to call them and discuss what you are looking for.  

#24 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

I tried tying some of the caddis pupas with the remaining stock I have but had to put in an order for Antron and some other goodies to get this done right. Should be here any day now and I can get to vice. Hopefully soon because next Tuesday I get to have a first failed surgical procedure done again. When he says he has to be more aggressive about creating scar tissue in there it means I'll have time I can't sit at bench or be doped up too much to tie. If worse comes to worst I can always do some basic elk hair caddis.

By the way. I've tried tying caddis with deer hair from various patches but it just flairs too much. What and where would you order deer hair patch to work for caddis. I recently had a whole hide I cut up patches on but botched the curing and threw out. I can get another full pelt soon and where would be good hair to take from.

I have Elk Hair for my Elk Hair Caddises that I bought from Blue Ribbon Flies that I have been really happy with.  If I remember it wasn't cheap but it's really nice to tie with.  Its best to call them and discuss what you are looking for.  

J. Stockard has these.  I think they are great. https://www.jsflyfis...eer-hair-strips

Fishing Bob

#25 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Flies are ready, same address Bob?

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#26 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

I mailed my flies a week ago but they may not meet the deadline. Canada Post workers are on strike and mail is apparently backing up in warehouses. The last I heard: USPS and other foreign mail services have been asked to halt shipments to Canada to prevent further backlogs. I apologize in advance if my flies remain buried until after Dec 8.

#27 r2732

r2732

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:02 PM

I am tying a grouse and flash on a #14 Mustad 3906 hook. 

underbody: tying thread in this case 8/0 olive Uni-thread

body: pearlescent mylar tinsel

thorax: hare's ear dubbing

hackle: grouse body feather

Walt Ryan

#28 r2732

r2732

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

Please send mailing address.

Walt Ryan

#29 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

Woodenlegs, Rockworm and Flytire's flies all arrived today.  All very buggy looking flies.

Fishing Bob

#30 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Bob. Its a relief to know my flies got there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Caddis flies only