Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Terrestrials Anyone?

Due Date Jan 15

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#106 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

I like to clip the fibers from a grizzly hackle and knot them for hopper legs. If you trim them short to a taper, you can have a little bulk to the front part of the leg and shorter on the back part of the leg. You can also pinch the tip of the leg to a small "L" shape.

#107 wmw4

wmw4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

BB can you shoot me the address?

#108 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

The original post for this thread has been updated to indicate which sets I have received. There are still 3 sets out and I have heard from all 3 swappers that their sets are in the mail. I should have all the sets by the middle of next week. I will notify you all as the s remaining sets arrive. Even without seeing the last 3 sets, I can assure you that this will be a valuable group of flies that you will admire, copy, learn from and enjoy fishing.

BB
Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#109 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Two sets arrived today. One more set and we will be good to go. Wmw4, and Stabgnid, great work. Much appreciated.

BB
Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#110 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

A bad cold and/or bronchitis kept me inside yesterday, but my good wife made a run to the Post Office today and the flies are in the mail. There was a problem with a metered mailing label created a problem, but it all worked out in the end. Postal clerk said that whoever sold the label should NOT have done so. But let it go anyway. All sets are on their way.

BB

#111 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

Yes the metered postage is only good day of,gotta have then sell you stamps for the return, I have had it happen on my drapes as well fortunately I have a great post office.

#112 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

That metered mail problem pops up once in a while and how it's treated depends on the mood of the Post Mistress. Why they do the metered I don't really know. Could be laziness, lack of training, forgetfulness, didn't feel like counting stamps, who knows but it can create problems unless the sender catches it before it goes out.

#113 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

During my oldest's birthday party yesterday, the mail man showed up with a present for me. This is a very nice terrestrial assortment. Well done by all. A lot of new to me patterns and the craftsmanship of them all is superb. Thanks Breambuster for hosting.

#114 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

Lots of creepy, crawly things in my mailbox yesterday, bound to catch something with these.  BB thanks for hosting another great swap and thanks to all the tyers for the wonderful bugs.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#115 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

Yep, flies are in their boxes and ready for rapidly approaching season. Since I'm primarily a warmwater fisherman they will be well used. Hopefully chewed up enough we'll need to do this again next spring.

#116 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,480 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Would someone, please, take some good pictures of the bugs?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#117 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:54 PM

Fantastic set of terrestrials showed up in the mail yesterday! Thanks Breambuster for hosting, and kudos to everyone who tied these bugs for a job well done!

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#118 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:39 PM

Got mine today
Thx guys everything in here is a Bream magnet

Mikechell,
Give me a while and Ill take a group photo.
I dont think I have a picture of mine I sent in a cricket

#119 Ekucolonel17

Ekucolonel17

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Received mine today. Great work everyone. Cant wait to try them out this spring. Thanks breambuster for hosting and doing the leg work.

#120 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:14 AM

Maybe someone could take a picture of the cricket I sent it in I didnt tie one for myself
5703-B316-4670-48-A4-983-E-36970-F1-F2-C