Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

8'6" 5wt 2pc

8H3TQs.jpg
IcBqiH.jpg
8IWz3a.jpg
MzOgQr.jpg

This one is for a returning customer. His rods in the past have been blue and a bit more flashy but this one he wanted a bit different than the others I have done for him so he gave me free reign on design. So I keep this one more on the subtle/classy side for him. Window style reel seat custom grip, garnet wraps with gold trim.

His previous ones were blue ... and you did one for him in red?

I hope he likes it !!!

It's a nice looking rod, just the wrong color.

Beautiful!!! You know I love garnet and gold so any rod with those wraps is a beauty to me!

Go Noles!

LOL Mike I wanna see a pic of your house, I bet it's BLUE ;)

Yep he didn't want this one blue, he's got 4-5 other rods from me that are all blue so he wanted something different this time.

Now you are touching close to home.

My everyday stick for some time now is also a 8’6” 5wt that I built myself and never really finished.

This is a beauty.

hi Steve..nice work..looks like minama guides are really catching on..those look like #6? i have yet to try them..some say they are a little noisy..how do you like them?

I usually do a couple #6 and then the rest #5's on these guides. There's no noise at all with minimas. Only guides I have ever heard a noise from were the Recoil guides but after using those once I never used them again just for that reason. I started using minimas probably 7-8 yrs or so ago and use them on 90% of my rods under 8wt size. Funny thing is back when I started using them hardly anyone was using them on fly rods, now I see people all over using them so they caught on pretty big it seems.

ok..that,s right it was recoils, thanks..yes, it seems like all of a sudden rod builders were using minamas..anything is better than snakes just to eliminate one wrap.lol. sounds good..i will give them a try..thanks

I use them not because of less wraps, but because they eliminate line slap. With a snake guide the line runs through the guide and bounces against the blank multiple times on the cast causing some friction. But with minimas the line is completely captured by the ring of the guide so line slap is not an issue at all.

good point about line slap, especially wet line..you mentioned using minamas for #8 only lines or less, what guide style do you like for larger lines?.Thanks..

I normally go with the standard snake guides on most 8wt and above. While I have never had a minima/single foot guide pull out on me, I just avoid any possible issues on the heavier rods by going with snakes.