Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Photography

Is this a good picture? People say I need improvement on my photography skills. Also, is that a good coho fly?

post-64672-0-60092600-1561070276_thumb.jpg

It's hard to tell, there's no picture.smile.png But I would say yes, your pictures could be better. In general, we need a good clean back ground, (without you in it) with good focus and lighting. Also, we could see the fly better if your fingers aren't on it.

Turn on the "more reply options" located at lower right of the post screen.

Next at lower left of the post screen "choose file then "attach the file".

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Helps me...lol I always wondered how to do it on this site

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

If you put a piece of paper behind the fly, right up against it, the camera will auto-focus on the fly better. It looks like items behind it are in focus, the fly is not.

I just lay my flies on a piece of paper, rather than trying to set everything up vertically.

You can simply look at your pictures and look at the pictures of others and you will answer your own question. It's still blurry. FOCUS, with or without a piece of paper you have to FOCUS. You might also try a background you haven't sat on.

What are you using to take the photo? I'm assuming your phone. If so, it should be able to take much better pictures, if you use it correctly.

Many people assume a "close up" is better. But most point and shoot cameras (phones included) have set distances for the close up feature.

Take a picture from a little farther away. Since the pictures are (usually) so huge (pixels-wise), buy the time you've cropped the picture down to just the fly, you have a better picture.

Do you really need US to tell you your pictures above aren't in focus.

What are you using to take the photo? I'm assuming your phone. If so, it should be able to take much better pictures, if you use it correctly.

Many people assume a "close up" is better. But most point and shoot cameras (phones included) have set distances for the close up feature.

Take a picture from a little farther away. Since the pictures are (usually) so huge (pixels-wise), buy the time you've cropped the picture down to just the fly, you have a better picture.

Do you really need US to tell you your pictures above aren't in focus.

I am using my computer. I don't have a phone.

Your computer is focusing on the writing on the paper. Try a piece of white or gray plain paper (no lines or markings or wrinkles) and find a way to hold the fly in front of the paper. Make sure the paper fills all the edges of your computer image. Shine a flashlight or lamp on the fly from the top, off screen. It should then focus better on the fly and show the details of it better. It's going to have limitations, but that should improve the final result.

Ah ... I hate the computer camera on my laptop. Since they're usually designed to give the best focus on your face, that's approximately how far the fly should be. But then, when cropping or digitally zooming in, you'll likely lose some clarity. As Chug stated, more light might help.

A fair digital, instant camera can be as little as $30.00. It's what I use to take my pictures.