Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Purpose built 7wt

This is a another rod for my own rod collection, but is a very purpose built rod. There's a small brush choked creek near me that has some decent sized browns in it which usually only come on streamers. Since most 7wt's are 9ft long I find that too much rod length for some sections of the creek. So I did some test casting with different grip positions and guide spacing and came up with this build which casts a full sinking line/streamer perfectly. It's a 9' 7wt 3pc blank with the butt section shortened by 18" to give me a 7'6" 7wt. Also used a screw in removable fighting butt, turned a full wells grip for it, and all blacked out hardware to be it stealthy for the small creek. Hopefully this will be just to tool for getting a streamer in front of some of the trout in this creek. Will find out for sure Tuesday.

2XCguB.jpg
xeZNDi.jpg
VZp0Y3.jpg

Steve,

I like your plan and the low flash, black on black, combo appeals to my inner sniper too. (That scheme might shape my next project rod from you.)

What line are you planning to use and how does it cast? For short casts, I'd try over lining it a bit and maybe using a sink tip to get the streamers down fast with a short 3-4' leader.

Years -- no decades -- ago I fished lots of waters around you and I'm stumped about the creek in question. Good find. And that remains your secret.

Rocco

Steve, great idea..i,m sure you know that cutting the butt section makes for a slower action..did you start with a fast 9' rod..i,ve cut one piece rods, never thought of cutting multi piece rods..Thanks.

It's a pretty fast action to start with. The other good thing is it has a lot of power in the butt/mid so taking 18" off the butt actually didn't change action of it much at all it's still a 7wt (ERN test) with lots of power. Plus now as a bonus I have an 18" 20wt to build laugh.png

laugh.png Looking forward to seeing how you do with that 18" 20 weight single piece rod !!!

I hope this rod gets you the fish you're after. NO BLUE and no bling ... um, I can honestly say ... if you put this one up for sale, I don't want it.

Steve, curious about the grip..what is the material making up the front half of the grip..i can,t see any rings but i can see pits..thanks..

I like the length, 7'9" has always seemed the prefect rod length to me, but a few inches more or less is good. Don't lay that down an a bank at night, it might be hard to find.

I attributed any blue to reflection. On my screen ... the blank looks as black as the wraps.

Excellent workmanship, as usual, but you can still keep the rod.

tongue.png

Both rod and wrap appear the same color to me as well, Mike, but compared to the black on the guide they both look nearer to Navy blue of my old peacoat.

That,s interesting about burnt cork..i would have been tempted to make it all burnt cork..lol. is it heavier than regular cork and as durable? Thanks..

Dave it is actually an old blank that I have had in inventory for quite awhile. I think it was from a company that isn;t around anymore called Cascade Composites.

Ben the exotic/burl corks are about 20% heavier than natural cork, but we're talking grams so basically not enough to tell just by holding in hand, only shows on a digital scale. I've done a few out of all burnt cork before it holds up very well.