Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Series Round 4; Classic Dry Flies

WE ARE FULL!

OK Guys, it's time to sign up for the 4th round of the Skill Builder Series. This time we are tying Classic Dry Flies. They can follow the Catskill model or the Wulff model. Also accepted are flies with wings made from some of the newer synthetic materials. What I'm trying to eliminate are Compariduns and Parachutes from this round. I envision a fly with a long, stiff tail, a body, a collar hackle and wings. It can either be an imitator or an attractor. Think Light Cahill or Royal Coachman. Each participant will tie up at least 12 flies, There will be 13 participants so you will not get one of your own back if everyone finishes the swap. Each participant will send their flies to me in a crush proof box, (I prefer Altoid boxes) with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Please make sure your envelope has postage stamps and not the mailing label the Post Office prints up. The label has a date on it and is really only good for the day of purchase. Sometimes I can sweet talk the Postal clerk to let it slide, but sometimes I have to pay the postage, myself, to get your flies back to you. Please avoid the hassle for me and use postage stamps. Also, all of your flies should be a mirror image of each other. Tie the same pattern, the same size, the same color, the same materials, etc. When you are ready to mail your flies, either post here or send me a PM and I will PM you back with my address. (Addy.) The due date will be Aug 1. The guys returning from the last round get first dibs for a spot here, and there names are already on the list below. We will have several slots open, so please join us, even if this is your first time participating in the Skill Builder Series. For newcomers, you might like to know that this is the next to the last round. After this round, we will do Parachute flies and that will end the Skill Builder Series.

Thanks

BB

WE ARE FULL!

1. Breambuster - Dark Cahill

2. Vicrider - Received

3. Fishingbobnelson

4. Jacktjl - Received

5. Wetsock - Ausable Wulff - Received

6. Idaho_RC - Received

7. Stilis - H&L Variant or Red Quill - Received

8. Riffleriversteelheadslayer

9. PJ2

10. jmckaughan - Received

11. Josephcsylvia

12. Zip - Irresistible Adams - Withdrew

13. Troutguy - Queen Of The Waters - Received

jmckaughan, you are in! Welcome aboard. Glad to have you join us. If you have any questions, let me know.

Take care

BB

I am in, I will tie either an H&L Variant, or a Red Quill depending if I can find good calf body, or good wood duck.

Josephcsylvia, you are in. Glad to have you join us for this one.

Wetsock & Stilis, I've got you down.

Take care

BB

Does the Irresistible Adam's pattern count?If so I'll try!

Zip, the Irresistible Adams does qualify. The only difference is that the body is trimmed deer hair. It has a stiff tail, body, dry fly hackle collar and wings. So you're good. I'll put you down.

Take care

BB

Thanks BB!It's a pattern I love but definitely have to practice!

Troutguy, you are in with pleasure. It will be great swapping with you again. I've got you down, and our swap is full.

BB

If anyone is still trying to decide on a pattern for the dry fly swap, Henrik, with his far greater knowledge of flies than mine has made a couple of suggestions that I will pass on to you. You has reminded me of the Classic English patterns with Starling wings. And he has also mentioned some older flies such as the Alder Fly and the E12 which are classic dries without upright wings.

Take care

BB