Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Carrying two rods

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Hi folks, anyone fishing on foot where they take two rods, a light rod for small stuff and a heavier rod for bigger fish. How are you storing the second rod? Just lying on the ground? Rigged on your waistcoat/pack? 

I'm thinking of carrying a #3 and a #7 but don't really want to keep putting rod down every few casts. 

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

what do you mean by small stuff?

i fish small flies on a 6wt and have no problems

2 rods = twice the chance of breaking/losing/forgetting the rods

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

#3 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

I fish two sometimes if I'm going to be walking between fishing spots and likely shifting back and forth between dries and wets, and if the water access is straightforward. I put one down streamside while wading with the other, and have never had trouble, but my rods don't cost more than $100 or so.
cb27

#4 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

I've got an Orvis Safe Passage Carry it All and use it in my 8 foot pram or when river fishing.  When river fishing its just on the bank.  Only have one rod set up for fishing at a time.  Not the best but it works for me.

#5 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

Sounds to me like you are basing your choice on the wrong factor. Size of fish has nothing to do with AFTMA rating. Decide what flies you will be using. select the line that casts them best, select the rod that casts that line best.

As for handling a second rod, get some small rare earth magnets. fold over the end 1/2 inch, both ends, of some webbing about 4inches long, sew down with a magnet in each end. Make 4 of these. Use two on the inside of your jacket or vest and two on the outside to hold the rod. Put the rod up. Hook fly into the ring above middle joint. Separate the middle joint and place the two halves together. The velcro bands that are used to hold skies together are great for holding the two halves of your rod together. By using the magnets you have a pull release system if the rod gets caught. You can fasten it anywhere but across your back is probably best.

Cheers,
C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#6 Lesg

Lesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

Maybe in a boat, but never when wading or walking. I have enough trouble avoiding getting tangled in the brush with one rod.

Les

#7 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

I sometimes carry two rods but not often. I always have at least two in the truck, though. If I'm under/over-gunned, I walk back and switch.
Tight lines,
David

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

I've got a half dozen in the boat with me.

When wading, I don't carry a second fly rod, I carry a spinning rod.  If I get into overhanging trees or something that prevents a back cast, I can change to a spinning rod.

The rod not in use gets slung over my back on a sling.

Attached File  rod carry strap (1).JPG   41.08KB   0 downloads

Attached File  rod carry strap (4).JPG   44.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  rod carry strap (5).JPG   43.58KB   0 downloads

Attached File  rod carry strap (7).JPG   53.69KB   0 downloads

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 SkinnyPole

SkinnyPole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

FISHPOND Quickshot Rod Holder.

Skinny

#10 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Hey Skinny ... do you actually use one of those quickshots?  I can guess that you definitely don't want to leave a fully assembled rod in that while using a second rod.  I can't imagine anything that would catch a fly line quicker than 7 to 8 feet of fly rod sticking up behind you.

Barbed hooks rule!

#11 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

Rarely, but I have brought two rods on a fishing walk before: 5wt for most everything and 7wt just in case with a bigger bulkier, often weighted, streamer. Dont like to lay them down because there is a lot of sand down here, so I find a bush I can hang them on.

Most of the time it is only one rod and two flies, though.
Bimini15

#12 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

If I'm hiking, walking or wading, I carry one rod.  A 6 wgt most times.  If I'm fishing from a boat,  I'll have more than one rod with me.  

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#13 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

One 6-8 wt rod at a time, the choice of wt being somewhat dependent on wind and such. the fly end taper of my 8&9wt lines is about the same as a 3wt so I have fished down to #24 with it and caught hundreds of trout that way. (and pan fish, bass, pickerel and bullhead) the six through 8 wt.s are pretty handy at "doing it all". I am just too lazy to use smaller lines.

Many years ago I had more energy and I carried as many as four rods streamside, I learned the truth of

2 rods = twice the chance of breaking/losing/forgetting the rods

No matter what I did sooner or later one rod got broken or left behind. I have found enough rods that i believe this happens to others as well.

#14 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:07 AM

I have found enough rods that i believe this happens to others as well.

Another reason for having a way to carry more than one rod ... taking those lucky finds home with you.

Barbed hooks rule!

#15 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Minimal gear for me. One rod and one staff while wading. The staff is like a second rod so if I did have a second rod I would just carry it and set it down when the need arises. I really can't stand to have crap hanging off me with large bulky appendages strapped and sticking out of me. Less is more.