Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

SWAPPERS POSTAGE!!! ALL PLEASE READ!!!

I received a PM from one of our International Members, involved in a swap. His question is about postage.

We can generally expect something going through the mail to just come and go without a problem. In the case of international postage, a package which LOOKS LIKE A PARCEL, a padded manila envelope, etc., can be construed as material requiring duty be paid upon entry into the foreign country.

As I said, and for the most part, no one here, in mailing to countries such as Canada or a Canadian mailing something to the U.S., should worry if the following precaution is taken.

FIRST: When you package your flies, please put them in a padded, protective MAILER style envelope, perhaps even going the extra step to buy a USPO or CANADA POST printed envelope, with your flies mounted between a cardboard sandwich, or the hook points embedded in a piece of foam before you stick them into your kitchen storage bag, or however you see fit, as long as you stabilize them and they aren't dangerous to handlers by poking through the envelopes or whatever.

SECOND: I won't even presume to treat any of you like you're so stupid as to not know enough to send along a return mailer, postage pre-paid, or sufficient funds to cover return postage..............to your location.

Here is how to include postage in International circumstances.

When you go to the Post Office, you not only pay for your posted package, but, at the same time, you should:

purchase what is known as an "International Reply Coupon" - this 'coupon' is "pre-payment" from you to the receiver (swapper), to be used to return your package from the receiver's location, recognized internationally as redeemable for return postage from the foreign country.

For United States residents mailing to a foreign location: You are required to fill out a Form 2976, which is a Declaration that your package and its contents are NOT, do not and can not be deemed commercially valuable. This is mandatory.

For our foreign swappers, obviously go to your local Postal Facility and check your own regulations.

For you American NEUROSURGEONS - IS THIS CLEAR????? wallbash.gif rolleyes.gif devil.gif

We now return you to your previously scheduled programming. huh.gif

QUOTE (DFix @ Jan 30 2004, 04:17 PM)
can be construed as material requiring duty be paid upon entry into the foreign country.

This all depends on how much the items is worth,generally I get swaps back with $0 to $10 written on the declarention form which means a duty is not due.Anything over $30 (I think) is charged a duty or tax at a standrd rate.Some packets do get through above the rate and I don't pay anything!

Hey I sent flies down to the states in a Canadian postal envelope specificly for the USA. There was no problem doing it this way this time. I am currently waiting for flies to come back from the states but according to Canadian customs I would be required to pay for the duty on the flies the material the hooks and whatever else our customs people see fit. Now this has not happend yet but this is what Customs told me. So much for NAFTA in Canada. wallbash.gif

To Rampratyow:

The following is the KEY consideration a U.S. swapper must make known to postal authorities; Taken from my prior post:

"For United States residents mailing to a foreign location: You are required to fill out a Form 2976, which is a Declaration that your package and its contents are NOT, do not and can not be deemed commercially valuable. This is mandatory."

If this is the case- WHY? would Canada Post demand DUTY be paid on something non-commercial or declared non-redeemable for commercial gain???

The items I ordered from a ebayer in Canada (shadowlake camping) took 5 weeks to get to me, . After contacting the seller he told me thats what its taking to mail items into the US. Probably good advice is to make sure everything is done properly if shipping between the two countrys.

Sign in to follow this