Fly Tying
Eric

Ever meet any fishing celebs?

Hey all,

Simple question: ever meet any famous fly fishing/tying celebs?

A local fly shop (one of the largest in the midwest) has a christmas party every year and when I went last (probably 5 years ago) the guest was Dave Whitlock. He was great, a bunch of people sat around and watched him tie some flies and listened to him talk about his experiences. I got a signed copy of his book about fishing for trout. I also showed him some of my patterns that I developed myself and he really took interest in them. One was particularily unique and he said that it gave him some ideas of his own.

Anybody have any stories to share?

so far I have met some minor and some major flyfishing personalities. I have met, in person, Dave Whitlock, Dave Hughes, Jack Gartside, Bill Skilton, Bill Sherer, Dennis Potter, Poul Jourgensen, and Chris Helm. Heck I have been in Chris's house. His shop is in his basement and he has more fly tying stuff than cabelas in Dundee michigan.On the phone I have had conversations with John Gierach, Bob Clouser, Blane Chocklett, AK Best, Keith Fulsher, Eric Leiser, and Randall Kaufman. Randall K is the only tying celebrity that has flat out refused my request for a fly for my collection. (Not even if I paid for one). I like talking to these people, I respect what a lot of the tying and fishing celebrites have to say. I find that most are very down to earth, and I do not think that you would find this in many other sports.

The fishing and tying show is in detroit in a couple of weeks, I am looking forward to meeting, in person, AK best and Bob Clouser.

IS anyone on this board going to the show?

John

I've met and befriended numerous well known fly tyers and fly fishermen however out of all of them, I am very close to Chris Marshall, the editor and founder of the Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine. He also wrote a few popular fly fishing books and has been on just about every fly fishing show on TV (at least Canadian shows).

Infact it was Chris who first turned me on to fly tying almost 10 years ago. If there is one person who I need to thank for helping me out it's Chris. He is a legend in his own right.

Most of the celebs I've met are saltwater notables;

Lefty Kreh_a real nice man, and funny too.

Chico Fernandez_I'll be seeing him again this saturday.

Jose Wejebe_real nice guy.

Steve Rajeff_can cast 150 feet, need I say more.

Stu Apte_a real legend.

Dave Whitlock_his wife is a major babe.

I've met quite a few anglers who were legends in their own minds, but of particular noteriety (and in no particular order)....

Bob Popovics

Alan Caolo

David Skok

Mike Martinek

Kenny Abrames

Dick Talleur

Theo Blakelarr

Jay Fullum

Jack Gartside

And I've had correspondence with....

Mike Mercer

Bob Clouser

Phil Monohan

David Klausmeyer

I have a particularly good time with Dick Talleur. He currently resides in Manchester NH, and my in-laws live in Londonderry, the next town down from there. I've taken a few tying classes with him, and this fact always seems to pop up. We discuss fishing in that area and expect to bump into each other at some point.

TB- Sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with that area. I know Manchester, Londonderry, and Nashua quite well. But the classes that I took with Dick were in Hamden Connecticut.

Have fun....he has plenty of interesting stories, and he's a real hoot. biggrin.gif

I really can not remeber all.. but a lot... Bob Popovics, Lefty Kreh, Flip Paillot, Dave Whitelock, Lou Tabory, Dave Fix, Dick Brown, Gartside, Abrames etc, etc... alot of tyers also. I stay in touch with several on a regular basis. Except Fix who is difficult to get to know and extremely pompos. wink.gif devil.gif

All though I haven't met them personally yet, I have met and conversed with over 600 tyers who are respected in thier own areas of expertise....right here on the forum....However, although I come from a long line of tiers and anglers, I must say that Mr. Dave Fix, Mr. Mark Dysinger, Mr. Joe Branham, and Mr. John desjardins were inspirational in sparking my interest in tying...I follwed these fellas, lurking in the shadows of cyberspace for a time, listening to thier advice and taking heed of thier lessons.....thanks fellas...Fix helped me through an especially rough time last fall...Thanks Dave.

I have , however, had the priviledge of fishing with a few legends....Steve Clark, Kevin Johnson, and Will Mullis.....if you ever get the chance to join us on one of our outtings, you will quickly understand why these fellas are legends...thanks for the great memories...looking forward to making many more in the years to come. smile.gif

I've seen quite a few at fly tying shows such as the Fly Fair.

I've met:

Joe Humphreys

Gary Borger

Charlie Meck - I'm actually in his book "Pennsylavania Trout Streams & Their Hatches" First Edition.

Ken Abrames

Doug Swisher

Bob Clouser

Dave Rothrock - PA Fly Tyer

Nick Nicklaus - Blue Ribbon Fly Tyer

Charlie Meck - I'm actually in his book "Pennsylavania Trout Streams & Their Hatches" First Edition.

Nothing better than a shameless plug!!!! Just kidding, Chip!! I think that is fabulous!!! Have thumbed thru the book...nice work...now I will definetly take a closer look!!! wink.gif

No never fished with or met any famous people.

I prefer to run with the less mentional crowd.

eye Steve, Will and Chris ! wink.gif