Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Tarpon Tourney Flies

All right you guys, read 'em & weep - here are a few of the flies that're gonna sweep me to victory in the upcoming tarpon contest. Let's see what the rest of the field is tying - what the hell, this thread's gonna be hijacked anyway. Of course, it may be a while before the fish get here - I sent my trusty dog out yesterday to track down a few 'poons, but he came back empty-handed. Six degrees last night, and a few inches of snow have left the entire region paralyzed. Watching the natives try to drive in this stuff is flat-out scary. Think I'll stay home until it melts.

post-281-0-96426600-1391101200_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-32737100-1391101228_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-30384600-1391101252_thumb.jpg

We're in ice out today, up to 36* and everything is starting to thaw.

Those are some beautiful flies PJ. The detail you put into the eyes alone ought to put fish on the hook, blows me away!

Did you use bead eyes with epoxy? Still can't get over how cool those look.

BUT don't think your masterfully crafted flies and superior casting prowess will put you in the win.

I have a secret weapon…

post-27925-0-41857700-1391103857_thumb.jpg

I agree. The eyes on both flies are badass. Ive tied something similar called a coupon crab, I think. In any case, I hear they work. I dont catch fish so I wouldnt know.

Dave, I wouldn't expect anything less than explosives from a resourceful rascal such as yourself. We're due to be back to normal temps by this weekend. (45-50) I almost keeled over when I looked at the thermometer last night.

Yeah, the beads are plastic, dipped in black paint and given a Liquid Fusion bath. I bought a bunch of frosted 6mm beads from China a while back, and when they're coated, they come out nice and clear. Ben bought some too, although I'm pretty sure he wears his to work. The slanted eyes are just some strung oval beads I found at Party City. I think the folks in the stores around here are beginning to notice me - a lot of nudging, whispering, and pointing seems to be going on whenever I walk in. Must be my fashionable appearance that gets their attention.

A coupon crab? Man, I KNOW you're making that one up. What is it, buy one, get one free?

He's never gonna hook a whale with a blow hole that big. Not in that boat anyway.

Have faith in the fat man my english cousin…

I agree. The eyes on both flies are badass. Ive tied something similar called a coupon crab, I think. In any case, I hear they work. I dont catch fish so I wouldnt know.

That's just great…I was counting on some tarpon tips from your "Michigan Mad Man Tarpon Tour" next month. Should we rename it the "Pinfish Chronicles"?

I know fecal matter from shoeshine about tarpon other than I watch them pass through the panhandle every year. I am counting on the winning advice from my circle of cross dressing deviant friends.

The slanted eyes are just some strung oval beads I found at Party City. I think the folks in the stores around here are beginning to notice me - a lot of nudging, whispering, and pointing seems to be going on whenever I walk in. Must be my fashionable appearance that gets their attention.

I got some awesome beads from Party City, they asked me to never show my boobs again sad.png

On a serious note though i really dig the flies wish i could tie em like that. and i dig the poon dog mine is convinced she chased the snow out of the back yard now that its melting she walks around like she's a bad ass.

peter, dave, yall really need to come up with some new places to hide the flies you lift at the expos apparently some of the materials those guys use attracts flies.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!! That picture is beyond disgusting! hell, it's beyond beyond. God Almighty! This crew continues to expand the boundaries of depravity. Guess I know what kind of nightmares to expect tonight.

Woody, those flies are not difficult ties at all. If they were, I couldn't tie them. You've just gotta build up your confidence some and be willing to steal ideas from others.

Don't know about the "Pinfish Chronicles." Sounds too much like "The Pinhead Chronicles," which is what the administration calls this part of the FTF.

That's just great…I was counting on some tarpon tips from your "Michigan Mad Man Tarpon Tour" next month. Should we rename it the "Pinfish Chronicles"?

I know fecal matter from shoeshine about tarpon other than I watch them pass through the panhandle every year. I am counting on the winning advice from my circle of cross dressing deviant friends.

Yes the pinfish chronicles!! Im scared of pinfish though..when I hear pin all I can think about is that time PJ and I went to the accupuncture place. Never again.

pic_12125983962085.jpg

Yeah, that's just a standard crab fly - the only real difference is that I dress it up a bit and use a chenille spreader and stiff neck hackles. Hey Ben, have you ever seen Phil Chapman's rabbit fur tarpon patterns? I'll whip up a couple - they're deadly on striped bass, though they were designed for tarpon. I think they were called hare-ball and in-furry-ator, something like that. Really nice stuff.

Yeah, that's just a standard crab fly - the only real difference is that I dress it up a bit and use a chenille spreader and stiff neck hackles. Hey Ben, have you ever seen Phil Chapman's rabbit fur tarpon patterns? I'll whip up a couple - they're deadly on striped bass, though they were designed for tarpon. I think they were called hare-ball and in-furry-ator, something like that. Really nice stuff.

Please share. Although..I hate rabbit. I dont like casting wet socks.

Thanks for the kind words Skimmer.

Ben, I hate casting bunnies too, but the sad fact is that nothing works better; besides, that's why they go to all the trouble of making 12wt rods for us rugged outdoorsmen. Now that I think about it, my all-time favorite flies have featured either rabbit fur or wool. Small wonder my right arm is twice the size of my left. I think I've got a few Chapman-style flies kicking around here somewhere, but I can probably tie some more in a tenth the time it would take me to find them. He uses a lot of palmered rabbit fur - he says the idea is to keep the fly suspended in the water rather than sink straightaway. I don't know if he's still active, but he had a reputation of being a Florida super-guide back in the day.