Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Franken Shrimp, Tarpon Flies, and other Debauchery (pic heavy)

Been spending some time at the vise the last couple days attempting to ride out winter in these parts. In any case, finally got around to taking some photos.

Juvenile Tarpon Fly

SAM_2212_zps5532c821.jpg

SAM_2210_zps728e8f99.jpg

A copy of a random fly I caught on a blog in my travels. A little different then what I saw but came out kinda cool.

SAM_2202_zpsbc705794.jpg

fe51e942-5891-4b68-86fd-6a35949c202c_zps

Franken Shrimp!!

SAM_2233_zpsae257db0.jpg

SAM_2231_zps38c28390.jpg

SAM_2227_zpsb4239639.jpg

SAM_2224_zpsab72050e.jpg

SAM_2222_zpsb76d717c.jpg

SAM_2220_zps549b0fcf.jpg

Not crazy about my new color combo though..back to the drawing board I think.

SAM_2216_zps59289f7b.jpg

SAM_2214_zps7ed853cb.jpg

Great looking ties, Chef. Hey, I really like the chartreuse/orange critters - they look positively radioactive. I suspect even a vision-impaired fish could find those; gotta try that color scheme myself.

I love these last shrimp. They look rather delicious. I'll surely be looking up a pattern for Franken shrimp later as I have found that shrimp flies transfer over into amazing carp flies.

Steve

Sweet as, i like the baitfish! Not being a douche but the shrimps with the beadchain how do find they swim? I could never make mine sit or swim upright with just beadchain, had to use a trick Kirk taught me to wrap or run lead or leadfree down the shank aswell. Good luck on your trip!

Great looking ties, Chef. Hey, I really like the chartreuse/orange critters - they look positively radioactive. I suspect even a vision-impaired fish could find those; gotta try that color scheme myself.

Thanks PJ. The Orange/White combo is one I took off of Bruce Chard. He calls that color combo white tiger and apparently it is very good on bonefish.

I love these last shrimp. They look rather delicious. I'll surely be looking up a pattern for Franken shrimp later as I have found that shrimp flies transfer over into amazing carp flies.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I use the size 4 shrimp for carp. They work great. You can also sub wiggle dub for the body if you want even more movement.

Sweet as, i like the baitfish! Not being a douche but the shrimps with the beadchain how do find they swim? I could never make mine sit or swim upright with just beadchain, had to use a trick Kirk taught me to wrap or run lead or leadfree down the shank aswell. Good luck on your trip!

Generally the bead chain eyed flies swim pretty good. I only use it on the size 4 flies and I try to be sparse with my material. Running a piece of lead down the shank isnt a bad idea. May have to try that out.

You and me both chef. I rarely fish anything smaller than a size 6 and usually have some as bag as #1 in my box. Most of what I fish is either a #4 or a #6.

There are some nice flies there. I use bead chain on a craft fur shrimp that I tie for speckled trout and they swim just fine. I mainly use them in 4 and 2 so the trout don't take them to the gills. Mine are nothing more than a tail and the fur put in a dubbing loop and wrapped around the shank for a body. Of course they have bead chain eyes towards the hook eye. I sometimes even strip them like a minnow. They work well fished both ways. Tan and med. brown worked the best for me in the ML. I forgot to mention the black sharpie bars on the tail.

I like them all, the small baitfish and shrimp are going to catch.......just gotta have the right situation and they'll be on fire! Nice flys.

If the fish are there, you should have the right bait, those look great. Ben, you won't have a problem with beadchain with a wing like you have. Jam, sent me some little shrimp with a spun wool body trimmed to shape but he didn't have a wing to help turn it over, which is why I suggested the lead on top of hook.

However, even on winged flies like your shrimp, I'll use lead on the top if I want a heavier fly but don't want to use bigger eyes that tend to pick up aquatics we have down here.

Reminder Kirk: get those spoons in the mail to Ben.

If the fish are there, you should have the right bait, those look great. Ben, you won't have a problem with beadchain with a wing like you have. Jam, sent me some little shrimp with a spun wool body trimmed to shape but he didn't have a wing to help turn it over, which is why I suggested the lead on top of hook.

However, even on winged flies like your shrimp, I'll use lead on the top if I want a heavier fly but don't want to use bigger eyes that tend to pick up aquatics we have down here.

Reminder Kirk: get those spoons in the mail to Ben.

Thanks Kirk! Cant wait to see em!

i dig em hop you dont mind me coppying you smile.png lol

If I was worried, I wouldn't have posted them! In fact, there is a SBS for the shrimp on the FrankenFly website. Check it out! Paul runs a GREAT site.

awesome im on a coyote kick i have quite abit of hair and some natural colored regular coon do you think i could substitute that for the tail???