Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

DNA Bush Pig

I just bought some DNA Holo Fusion, stuff looks wicked fun to tie with. I have seen some pictures of a fly called a bush pig, does anybody have any experience tying or fishing them? Sure looks like a fish catcher (fisherman) catcher.

post-27925-0-68419800-1392771552_thumb.jpg

I'm going to give it a shot, will post up my results. Ben, I'll drink some beer, any suggestions?

I just bought some DNA Holo Fusion, stuff looks wicked fun to tie with. I have seen some pictures of a fly called a bush pig, does anybody have any experience tying or fishing them? Sure looks like a fish catcher (fisherman) catcher.

attachicon.gifDNA Bush Pig Chartreuse web.jpg

I'm going to give it a shot, will post up my results. Ben, I'll drink some beer, any suggestions?

If you can get it, Bell's Hopslam. About impossible to find because it sells out so fast. Luckily I scavenged a case when I could. If you cant that Id go with a good ale like Rogue Dead Guy!

When I first saw the title of the thread I thought you were going to be talking about a girl I once hooked up with blink.png

Awesome looking fly, I have been curious abut holo fusion as well. Let us know how you like it.

Guest rich mc

when holofusion first came out I purchased a few . primary tie was for tail trebles hook on some spinning gear poppers big mistake. it would only settle down when stripped in fast otherwise it would spread out in the water as if it was on an electric charge . I do like it on streamers but it must be blended . just my take rich mc

Thanks for the information Rich, it'll be a while before I can get out to try it to see how it works… In the mean time i tied this up to mimic juvenile pinfish flashing in the grass.

post-27925-0-70279700-1392791995_thumb.jpg

Cool! Ben Hopslam is a very good IPA. May I also suggest Stone River Brewings Double IPA. It is excellent.

Cool! Ben Hopslam is a very good IPA. May I also suggest Stone River Brewings Double IPA. It is excellent.

I know you are going to think im crazy but im actually a huge IPA guy..although I LOVE hopslam which of course is a double IPA as well. Maybe its the honey in it? Who knows. At the end of the summer I brewed an American Pale Ale which are pretty good. A little less of the bitter you get with a traditional IPA.

The beer gods are smiling on an old fat man…. They sell Bell's Hopslam in a little cigar shop about 15 minuets from the house.

Liquor Mart 415 N TYNDALL PKWY, PANAMA CITY, FL, 32404

I'm sensing a pattern here….

The beer gods are smiling on an old fat man…. They sell Bell's Hopslam in a little cigar shop about 15 minuets from the house.

Hopefully price isnt an issue lol. I paid $70 for a case! rolleyes.gif

10% ABV though blink.png

Well this thread has definitely gone to hell in a good way. It is 68 and sunny here today and yes I am daydreaming about having several tasty beers after fishing rather than working. Ben I hear ya on the double ipa's but Im kinda like Homer Simpson I like my beer wet, cold and in a large mug. I got hooked on Stone River Brewing last month when I went to San Diego to a conference with the wife. San Diego has some amazing craft brewers. We went to Stone River and I loved it. There are two locations as I understand it. We went to the one in an old naval complex by the bay. It had a creek running through it. They had some amazing IPA's on tap. I also love Saison ales and they had an awesome one.

I happen to live in a dry county (no alcohol sales) but the city went wet about a year and half ago (nice to be able to buy a beer here now). I live about 15 miles outside of town so not hard to buy a beer. It used to be an hour drive one way to buy beer. Its funny as I live on a 60,000 acre lake that is made up of about 90% beer and 10% recycled beer in the summer. My buddy has a store in town and has a large selection of craft beers so I just tell him what I like and he gets it. He came to the office Monday after informing the kids that he was spending the kids inheritance and let me know that he has plans to open a taproom. Hell Yes, grabbing a growler on Friday afternoons head to the house to grill some dorado fish tacos with some homemade pico de gallo and wash down with a hefeweizen sounds great.

Back to fishing. I fished two days for inshore fish in San Diego. I loved looking at all the naval stuff, caught a lot of small stuff, and generally enjoyed some sunny socal sunshine.

Hopslam is great. In the summer I make the hearty double IPA a bit more light with just a small squeeze from a fresh lime.

I am not a beer conisour or however it is spelled. Many years ago I was in Daytona and stopped at a Lum's hot dog place. They a very dark beer on tap that had a slightly sweet and walnutty taste. I just loved it buy have never found anything like it since. Any ideas on what it may have been? I could be turned into a real beer drinker with that stuff. Otherwise,,,pass the bourbon

Ditz

I like bourbon too but it doesn't always like me. 'Im from Kentucky and grew up very close to several distilleries in the central part of the state. I still love the smell of mash. I now live in the southern portion of the state and there are no distilleries here. As for your beer there are lots that fit that category. If you are in a state that has it I would suggest you try Fat Tire Ale by New Belgium Brewery. I think you would like it. I don't know how you like your bourbon (I can drink it neat, on the rocks or mixed), my preferred drink is Basil Hayden's with ginger ale and a lime wedge, tasty.