Fly Tying
wademan

Sanibel Island

Planning a trip to Sanibel Island soon. Has anyone fly fished the area? Mainly wade fishing. Anyone recommend what part of the Island is good wading. Will be staying about a week, possibly second week Sept.

Thanks all for input.

wademan

I'm actually going there again next weekend

Stop by Norman Ziegler fly shop, he'll get you updated and fill you in

Wake up early and hit the beaches, popular ones are Bowmans beach and the Rocks. Both have good fishing and many miles of shallow clear water (if conditions are good). I say go early is to avoid the tourists. Around 9-10 when it's getting busy, head back and tie some flies, take a nap, lunch, whatever. Then a couple hours before sunset start heading back out, this is when I like to go to blind pass, and fish there. In reality you could use only 1 fly pattern, the schminnow. But it's a great idea to have some other patterns in case it's not working out or whatever

Hope this helps

Thank you Flatsrunner. Sounds like a good time to be had. I've got an e-mail out to Norm Ziggler.

wademan

ziggler

It is fun time indeed

Also try ding darling for snook reds and tarpon, just go from those little bridge things to little bridge things until you come across some fish

Enjoy the trip and share the pics!

I have a PDF copy of an article he wrote in 2010 for Eastern Fly Fishing magazine. If you'd like a copy, pm me your email address.

Bring flies in the #4, #2, and 1/0 range

White is my favorite to start with, but I always bring a healthy dose of tan and black/purple flies as well. If its not going to be fished on the beach it gets a weed guard. Gurglers, schminnows, clousers, decievers, ep baitfish flies, and shrimp flies.

Should get you set, probably only end up using a couple fly patterns but its good to have extra

Guest rich mc

ill second ding darling refuge you can rent a canoe with a 24vt electric motor we caught fish trolling flies rich mc

Here's the website for Norm's shop....

http://www.normzeiglersflyshop.com/

I've never met him but he has a great reputation.... and here's my version of that Schminnow... in a size #4

schminnow.jpg

Remember, when you're working the beach at dawn - the fish are a lot closer to the sand than you'd guess - so make a point of working quite a bit ahead while staying as far from the water as you can manage....

Down by the lighthouse can be very good early mornings with the start of an outgoing tide. The current will bring all the typical food out for the predators laying in wait.

Do post the results of your trip.