Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New to fly fishing

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

I never knew a club like this exists! Is it ok to use in a tournament?

I really don't know, my guess is no but probably be up to toury people.

Sometimes I need expert advice which is why I talk to myself.

#17 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

Nope. Gotta have a full quiver of 14 for Tournament play. (NOT like Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy)

The Dvinick is good for Par 3's or for knocking BirdieBalls around. They feel very stiff in the hands.

BITD we had an 18 hole Par 3 course in Denver that was lighted for night play, and we regularly looped it with a 7 iron, wedge & putter. Longest hole was around 210 yds. Cheap entertainment on a Friday night. Unfortunately it succumbed to urban sprawl.

#18 Paulmaude

Paulmaude

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:06 AM

Guys thank you all for responding!!
I live in york uk where there is a few Stillwaters and the river itself.
I would have to travel to venture the trout but I've been told some not far away.
Ive looked at the greys combo set 9'6 7w by a couple of guys??
But the abundance of info you guys can give is more than helpful.
Would you recommend this set up as a first.???

#19 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

Well since you still have not mentioned what you will be fishing for, sure.

#20 Paulmaude

Paulmaude

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:24 AM

Sorry poopdeck,, there is only a couple of trout places I've seen so the rest will be still waters which have a mixture from carp right down to tench, so at the min it's very much a learning curve and then venture further a field up to Scotland with family if I can get to grips with it.

#21 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,872 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:45 AM

If you're specifically targeting carp, then yes ... a 7 weight to horse 15 to 20 pound carp to the net.

If you're just casting to "fishy" looking area, hoping for whatever might be in the area (my favorite way), then I still suggest a 8 to 9 foot long 5 weight.

I've caught some big fish, and cast some large flies with mine, and I am pleased with it.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#22 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

You pick difficult fish to start on. Outside my experience, so, going by what I've read and my still water trout experience.. The 7 weight line or even 8-9 weights would be in line with my choices of still water fishing from the shore line, long casts and long leaders are likely to be wanted, I think, with relatively heavy nymphs. Sight fishing in clear waters will require much accuracy, so you'll want to practice a bit. Pick a reel large enough to spool a line plus a 100 meters or more of backing.

I think I would stick at 9 foot for rod length and I would follow the advice given by SilverCreek on moderate rod action. The description from Greys make their rods seem too fast for a beginner; well actually too fast for my taste after 40+ years of being a beginner.

So, 9'-7/8wt/moderate action and I have no idea what is available in UK. I will suggest you search for a local fly fishing  club or instructor and try to get some instruction, coarse fish on fly is likely to be frustrating without it. 

#23 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

Dean at the Fishermen's Spot in Los Angeles is batsh## crazy for carp. If you call there he might help point you to the right beginner's lake carp setup if there is such a thing...
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#24 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

Playing a round of golf with one club can be done but not well. I recommend starting out with all the even weight rods 4 and above. Then start filling in the odd weights. Then you will be set. If that's not feasible you will have to provide a tad more info on your intentions.

Do you remember Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup" using a 7 iron to play a round of golf? Great Movie. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#25 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

The writer and fisherman Thomas McGuire (The Longest Silence) said that with a 5 wt and an 8 wt you can fish for every fish in the US in freshwater and inshore.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#26 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:01 PM

UK is a long way from the US, not that it matters to the carp or tench. York is kinda on the far side of England.